Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I upgrade my machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-upgrade-my-machine-t141391.html)

Flo Pierce 07-31-2011 03:05 PM

That is a beautiful machine and lots of space to roll a quilt.
How lucky you are !!!

Jerseyrayne 07-31-2011 05:01 PM

I just received an email from one of my local shops that carrys Janome that they are having a 4 day floor model sale, so I am going to see what she has. I have been able to get some pricing of machines, but nothing on the 6600P.
Could you give me an estimate of what they go for?
Thanks for all the information I have received so far.

softpatches 07-31-2011 05:19 PM

I have the Janome 6600 and it is a good machine but I much prefer my Brother 1500S for FMQ----The Brother is 1/2 the price of the Janome, much faster and the bobbin and neck space are the same. The Brother is just a straight stitch machine so it has a wonderful stitch for FMQ--It is not picky abt thread either and very easy to mantain.
I use it for piecing and quilting and use the Janome just for the binding (a decorative stitch) and machine applique. For the money you can't beat the Brother. The Janome is a good machine but it is much slower than the Brother and the machine does not have that great stitch unless you spend extra for a straight stitch plate and a different bobbin case. The Janome is also very picky abt thread---
I can also use the Brother on a frame if I decide to go that route. In closing, if you have a good regular sewing machine, free arm, decorative stitches, etc.....it can do all the things that the Janome 6600 offers except the space to free motion quilt. I will probably sell my 6600 as it is very heavy and I use it so little. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have. Good luck in your decision--

Suz 07-31-2011 05:20 PM

Please consider a used Bernina with a stitch regulator (BSR). I have done several queens on mine. A new Bernina is quite pricey, so consider a used machine w/warranty.

Also, what thread are you using in your bobbin? If it is heavier, try a thinner thread, possibly a poly thread.

Jerseyrayne 07-31-2011 05:41 PM

I am using 40 wt. Essential cotton thread from Connecting Threads and 40wt cotton from Marathon threads. I also have alot of Polyester threads for embroidery but I didn't think they were strong enough for the fmq quilting.

imadispatcher 07-31-2011 06:04 PM

I would try the aurefil thread..it is wonderful and seems to last forever in my viking

imadispatcher 07-31-2011 06:05 PM

I would try the aurefil thread..it is wonderful and seems to last forever in my viking

Jerseyrayne 07-31-2011 06:16 PM

where do you buy the aurefil?

Dee 07-31-2011 08:16 PM

I always do mine on a 7 harp. Slow and easy is the key. Anyway, works for me.

Dee 07-31-2011 08:16 PM

I always do mine on a 7 harp. Slow and easy is the key. Anyway, works for me.