Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should We Expect Others To Love Our Quilts Also? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-we-expect-others-love-our-quilts-also-t35565.html)

Pinkrose4664 02-01-2010 07:59 PM

Well, I had this happen to me Saturday as a matter of fact. Helped throw a surprise BD party and I made the gift, quilt. I posted the picture here last week, it was a tube block quilt and got lots of praise for it here. The other 2 girls love it too. But the BD girl looked so disappointed when she opened it. One of the other ladies got kind of offended and said that if BD girl didn't want it, she would take it and the BD girl (kidding I guess) said she could have it.

I agree, once a quilt is given, it is no longer mine. I can bet that that quilt will not be displayed anywhere in her home LOL

I would not say a word if it were me and at least act very happy with it because I know how much work went into it.

Pinkrose4664 02-01-2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
When DH and I got married, his Godmother gave us a king size quilt. It isn't a pieced quilt but a cheater cloth but nicely hand quilted. The only problem is that it is all country pink, solid country pink backing, country pink design on front with off white background and quilted with bright pink floss. I still have the quilt but it is on the top shelf of the linen closet waiting for someone who loves country pink.

BellaBoo, wish I was part of your family, those are my colors and we have a king sized bed. :)

Dingle 02-01-2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkrose4664
Well, I had this happen to me Saturday as a matter of fact. Helped throw a surprise BD party and I made the gift, quilt. I posted the picture here last week, it was a tube block quilt and got lots of praise for it here. The other 2 girls love it too. But the BD girl looked so disappointed when she opened it. One of the other ladies got kind of offended and said that if BD girl didn't want it, she would take it and the BD girl (kidding I guess) said she could have it.

I agree, once a quilt is given, it is no longer mine. I can bet that that quilt will not be displayed anywhere in her home LOL

I just looked at the quilt you made for the BD girl. How anyone could be dissapointed in getting that is beyond me. I'm going to try my hand at the tube quilting. If I would receive a quilt that nice looking you bet your butt I would be showing that off to everyone. I wouldn't even care if the colors didn't match anything I have in my home. That is one beautiful quilt. You did a GREAT job!
I would not say a word if it were me and at least act very happy with it because I know how much work went into it.

Pinkrose4664 02-01-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle

I just looked at the quilt you made for the BD girl. How anyone could be dissapointed in getting that is beyond me. I'm going to try my hand at the tube quilting. If I would receive a quilt that nice looking you bet your butt I would be showing that off to everyone. I wouldn't even care if the colors didn't match anything I have in my home. That is one beautiful quilt. You did a GREAT job!

Thanks Dingle. She is a red head and loves the fall colors match her hair LOL So I would have thought she would love it. Oh well.

Dingle 02-01-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle

Thanks Dingle. She is a red head and loves the fall colors match her hair LOL So I would have thought she would love it. Oh well.

Hey, I'm a red head! :-D

Honey 02-01-2010 11:25 PM

When making a quilt for someone I, too, try to make it in colors that they like and a pattern that fits them. I don't expect anyone to "gush" over it, but I do expect them to appreciate the effort. And no, I would never tell anyone that I didn't like their colors or whatever. Their choices aren't mine, nor should they be. We are all individuals with individual tastes. That's what is so wonderful about quilting. No two quilts will ever be exactly the same.

MadQuilter 02-02-2010 12:06 AM

When confronted with a handcrafted item that leaves a bit to be desired, I try to find something positive to say about it.

When I give a quilt as a gift, I hope that I picked the right color and a pattern that will be liked or appreciated. However, I cannot control how the recipient will react, or how that person will treat the quilt. Gifts should be given from the heart. If they come with strings attached, they are not really gifts.

patricej 02-02-2010 04:14 AM

i'm sometimes disappointed by somebody else's reaction to a quilt i'm really proud of and think is pretty.

on the flip side, i've made some i thought were barf-inducing by the time they were done. i've sold every one of them. go figure. :roll: :lol:

Nancysue 02-02-2010 06:18 AM

I different option on most quilts that my quilting buddies, but I love them anyway. Everyone has different likes and dislikes on patterns and fabric. I do mostly artsey quilts, wild bold colors and abstract designs, but the 2 groups I quilt with are more traditional. But I love the work they do, as they do with mine. Everyone is different, but they should be kind. That is only good manners.

ekbuckeye 02-02-2010 06:43 AM

I learned my lesson about gifting after finding a white afghan I'd made in my SIL's dog's bed less than a year after she'd received it. I've seen quilts that I think are bu**-ugly, but, being a quilter who prefers traditional patterns, I appreciate the work, time, and expense that goes into most handmade items and can always find a complement to share. Everyone has their own taste.