Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which 'side' are you on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/side-you-t194595.html)

coopah 07-15-2012 04:16 AM

So, quite a few quilters seem to be mugwumps! You know, mug on one side of the fence and "wump" on the other! ROTFL Great that we can do our own thing and still learn from each other!

bearisgray 07-15-2012 04:19 AM

One thing that many people have seemed to agree about:

The 'good' scissors are to be used ONLY for fabrics - and woe upon whoever used them for something else!

lisalovesquilting 07-15-2012 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5364432)
Same with me.:thumbup:

Yes, me too. Isn't it a shame when an experienced quilter tells a new quilter that there is only one way to do something?

carolv 07-15-2012 04:40 AM

This is exactly why I don't say much on message boards. I do what's right for me.
Scant 1/4 inch- Still don't understand that one.
Change needle after every project- I use it until it breaks, get's dull or I hear a ticking sound.
I prewash everything- they use alot of poisons on the fabric when they ship it over, bugs love the fabric finish.
Dont use steam I'm a spritzer when needed.
I have a straight stitch-only machine so I machine quilt what I can and send out the bigger stuff,anything over a queen. I don't hand quilt, don't have the paitence
I buy fabric wherever I can find good quality, and I have bought good stuff at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.
Binding on the straight of grain- it's what works for me.
I'm also a smoking quilter- I don't smoke in the house so not worried about swaps, but I have seen alot of griping about people not making their block's perfect and frankly I don't worry about something being a little bit off, so I stay away from swap's.
I love to read how other people do thing's, I do what works for me and forget about the rest.

Eliebelle 07-15-2012 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5364044)
Firmly on the fence!:D I do what works for me and to heck with the quilt police.

Me too! Life is too short...

KwiltyKahy 07-15-2012 05:09 AM

And don't forget machine versus hand.
We had a saying in the 60s that has wide applications, and seems appropriate here,
"Different strokes for different folks"!!!!!!!

ptquilts 07-15-2012 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5365899)
One thing that many people have seemed to agree about:

The 'good' scissors are to be used ONLY for fabrics - and woe upon whoever used them for something else!

I believe this is actually chiselled in stone on a tablet somewhere....

kateyb 07-15-2012 05:17 AM

I do what works best at the time. I do have a nice machine because my 30 year old machine died and I have always wanted to try machine embroidery.

nabobw 07-15-2012 05:38 AM

That is me.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5364044)
Firmly on the fence!:D I do what works for me and to heck with the quilt police.

Latrinka 07-15-2012 05:47 AM

Neither side, on the neutral ground. I do whatever makes me happy. Some things I've learned from experience, but have gotten a lot of tips from here and the internet.