Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signature Wedding Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signature-wedding-quilt-t300323.html)

Still Sew N 10-19-2018 11:46 AM

Signature Wedding Quilt

My daughter is getting married in June!! She would really like a signature quilt in lieu of a guest book. I've been on pinterest and you tube looking for ideas and suggestions. Then it occurred to me perhaps I should ask here on this website where there is so much experience and great suggestions. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips or anything they would like to share. I was thinking muslin or white squares to write in and colors to match her wedding which are the colors of wildflowers. It would be awesome to see what others would suggest!

Iceblossom 10-19-2018 11:55 AM

My first question is how many people are you expecting to sign?

Second question is when/where/how will you be doing the signing? If it will be at the ceremony/reception, I'd just get signatures. If you can send them out ahead of time and get them back maybe people can be a bit more creative.

SusieQOH 10-19-2018 12:28 PM

I made an album quilt for my parents 50th anniversary. I took rectangles of white cotton and sent them to all my siblings, nieces and nephews. They signed their sentiments with the pen I sent and instructions.
On the back I appliqued an angel with the birth date of my brother who was stillborn.
It was a huge success! My parents went wild over it.
I used the Album block. What a nice idea for your daughter!!!

dorismae904 10-19-2018 12:59 PM

I made a wall hanging for my GDs wedding. I ironed freezer paper to the back of white cotton and cut it into
2 1/2 " x 5" pieces. I provided some #5 Micron black pens for the people to sign the pieces. I cut blue and gray strips to intermingle with the signed pieces. Turned out nice. I would suggest you have someone at a table to show the guests how to sign the strips and make sure they don't walk away with the pens.

Iceblossom 10-19-2018 01:08 PM

Sorry about that. The link removed showed a traditional "album" quilt similar to one I made for a graduation gift. I found it easiest to make in diagonal rows and not as individual blocks. I gave the mom white rectangle blocks with a couple of extras. It was large enough for a couple of sports teams to sign.

If I were to do it over again I'd probably do a color basting stitch showing the seam allowance on the signature blocks.

Also commented that the melon/oval patches in a wedding ring quilt might be nice.

cindi 10-19-2018 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made one for my niece. I did paper piecing, so I didn’t need to use anything on the back of the blocks to support them. While there was a white area to write in, I also encouraged them to write wherever they wanted - I wanted it to be fun! I taped along the sides of the block with blue painters tape, which easily came off. I was able to take these to Florida for the wedding and back to Ohio for a second reception without any blocks fraying or coming apart. I did a test of many different pens, and the Nano-Liner and PrismaColor Premiere worked best. All of the Microns I tested either faded or bled after several washings. Good Luck!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602768[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]602769[/ATTACH]

Jingle 10-19-2018 03:14 PM

Very pretty quilt. Cute couple.

Still Sew N 10-19-2018 04:53 PM

Really, really cute. That is just a great quilt! Really something to be cherished. Thanks so much for all input. So many good ideas and I thank everyone who answered. Really good ideas. You guys rock!! I'll continue to read in case I get the opportunity to receive additional suggestions. Thanks again!

bunbytes 10-20-2018 07:29 AM

I mentioned this before in another post. People attending a wedding are excited and distracted. If you want them to sign a fabric square for the quilt, I highly recommend having paper templates with the seam allowance (1/4 inch) marked. Have them practice with pencil on the paper template. It helps them judge the spacing of the message. Once they are satisfied with their creation, ask them to write the message on the fabric (which has the seam allowance marked). It is less frustrating for the guests and it makes for a beautiful quilt.

Bjbaxter 10-20-2018 10:45 AM

I had a friend who did this and she made a template that was placed over the cut piece of fabric so the guests could only write inside the template, ensuring the seam allowance, she also put the fabric blocks over a piece of fine sandpaper so it was easier to write.