Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Silly question about my sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/silly-question-about-my-sewing-room-t195418.html)

LyndaOH 07-22-2012 09:24 PM

It's all about attitude! Mine's a studio~!

Gramie bj 07-22-2012 10:01 PM

Mine is the sewing/craft room it is large about the size of a 1 car garage. But I do everything in there. Quilting, assorted forms of needle work, beading, scrapbooking, painting (oil,water, and acrlic) some small wood working projects (large ones are out in DH Shop) ceramics, jewlery making, and a few other things I'm trying just for fun.

JuneBillie 07-22-2012 11:19 PM

I am working on mine to get it into the studio category. I have 3 sewing machines, and one long table, couple of smaller ones, and the plastic pull out shelves like they have at walmart, and a couple of the big plastic containers with lids for storage, and one wooden bookcase to fill with some more sewing things. But, we still have a bed in there, but are planning to take that out, and have a day bed against the wall instead. So I am still in the process, but looking forward to it. We also have a small freezer in there, but that will stay.

nycquilter 07-23-2012 03:05 AM

Like LyndaOH said, it is a state of mind. I want to call my space a studio because I think of myself as an artist--I create beauty. But my mom called her space a sewing room and that's what seems to stick in my head. I vacillate in what I call it and am working toward calling it a studio at all times.

nygal 07-23-2012 04:17 AM

I recently refurnished and organized my "craft room". It got to the point where I rarely created a thing in there..just went in to get some stuff out from my stash. Since I have totally redone the space I now call it my "studio". I have a few work spaces and three machines out and a quilting frame set up in the middle of the room. Its not a huge room but it is plenty of space for me to be happy in.

I think of it like when I was a child we had a parlor.....no one says that word anymore when talking about their living room. So I have left the "craft room" term behind as I left behind the term parlor. Now I have a living room in my home and I also have a studio.:)

Chicca 07-23-2012 04:24 AM

My sewing room is in one of the extra bedrooms. It is all mine; has two sewing machines, three different shelf sets to store fabrics/notions and projects. Plus a made up table in the middle to assist with cutting/trimming (major projects I still use the dining room table). A closet filled with totes and boxes each designated for something in regards to quilting. I really love it. Guess I call it a room, because that is what it is....LOL. To me a stuio is all of those super duper rooms that look like their own little house that have tons of space to walk and move around. A sewing space is just that a space in the house that we have designated for sewing (I usually have one of these). This is my first time having a room and hope to always have a room now because of all of the necessary items I have. LOL.

Panchita 07-23-2012 05:51 AM

Mine is a tiny bedroom that has a sign on the door stating 'Quilting Studio'. However, due to the size of the room it is rather a tongue-in-cheek sign. Kind of like calling a one bed cottage the Ponderosa...

When I actually refer to it I tend to call it 'my room' - there is also 'his room' (with all of his computer stuff) and 'our room' which is our bedroom. So I am a bit literal. However, if I made an effort then I would try to call it 'my studio' LOL!

pinkberrykay 07-23-2012 06:06 AM

I have a sewing space. A portion of my living room is where I have my area. It is defined by a lower ceiling then the rest of the LR. I leave my sewing machine out all the time, I also have a large cutting cabinet and a cute cabinet that I store everything in. I love having my quilting area in the LR it is the heart of my home and I wouldn't have it any other way.

romanojg 07-23-2012 06:49 AM

I think it depends on what YOU want to call it. I have a designated sewing room and that's just what I call it my sewing room. It's not that big, about a 12 X 12, with a sewing desk, a cutting table, cube bookcases and shelved ones too, and another sewing desk with my mega quilter on it. It's very compact. My son this morning called it my mechanical room, I guess due to all of the machines. I guess if you go by Fons and Porter it's a studio because it's always setup and ready to sew. I think it's like most things in life; it depends on the person. Like some say dinner and others say supper, etc. Some think a studio is large but then when you look at studio apartments they aren't very large at all.

shayzamn 07-23-2012 06:53 AM

Hmmm... we have a studio, because it holds the mid-arm, the embroidery machine, the serger, and the three... four. Yes, four. Anyway, four sewing machines. And all fabric, two cutting tables, design boards, costuming gear (for the other sewing). It's a converted detached two-car garage/workshop that the previous owner built. It's the only space big enough for all our stuff!

But the hand-quilting frames are in the den in the house. *shrug*