Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Silly question about my sewing room

Silly question about my sewing room

I have a sewing room. So do some of you. Some have a sewing space. There are also some of you that have a studio. How does a sewing/space become a studio? Yeah, I'm bored.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Is it a place you just go to, to sew, or is it somewhere you go to create?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I would think a studio is a big room with several sewing machines and lots of cabinets and closets. A big stash of fabrics and several comfy chairs. Wait, that sounds like my dream, oh well, just what I think.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I was watching a Fons & Porter episode a few years ago and they were talking about this very thing. Mary Ann Fons stated that she thought the rule was this: If your sewing machine sits out for more than 24 hours, then you have a studio; if you have to put it away after each sewing session, then it is a sewing space" I don't know how true this is because I have a little 9' X 10' room with a walk-in closet and most of the time I leave my sewing machine up on my sewing table (even though I have a cabinet to put it away in!) And I also have to move my machine often as this room is also my computer room. All (okay, almost all) of my fabrics and sewing supplies are in this room. I don't refer to it as a studio, I call it the "Sewing Room"
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    i think it's how the individual percieves their own space. what some call a studio, i'd call their kitchen table, . I wish i had a studio...because in my mind, it would be a sizeable space devoted to sewing/quilting ONLY. my sewing space (and yes, my machine stays out 24/7) is shared with my work office (i telecommute for my job) and a futon and big chair and tv where the kids play video games. I call is my office/sewing room. again, i think it's all in one's own perception!

Blog Entries
    I started with a small room off the den. I took over the den, then the guest bedroom next to the den. I had both rooms redone to be all mine. DH has his man cave room with his big tv plus a shop with all his tools. The kids complained about no den anymore but of course were told it's your home not your house. LOL
    Got fabric?

I call mine a studio it's a bedroom with a large closet, it is packed full think my goal is to maybe get some of the junk out... But it is my studio because it is where I create and where I get inspired to my art ( quilting) just wish it was bigger :-)

Blog Entries
    I share our "fourth bedroom" with my husband and his hobby - he is into amatuer radio and we call the room the "radio room". My sewing machine it up full-time and has it's own table - I have two bookcases for books, patterns, supplies and fabric. I only have a small space in the built-in cabinets - he has the rest ... but, I have half of the family room because of the longarm he bought me last summer. I did volunteer to move the remainder of the family room upstairs to the living room, move my stuff out of the "radio room" and put it in the other end of the family room - he said no - pretty short sighted of him since that would give him the entire "radio room" for his own stuff - lol -- I told him the other day (when I was mad at him) that I would just wait until he was gone and then do it - he just laughed

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    In my little antique cottage, my living room has been turned into my "studio". I call it that because it IS a dedicated space for nothing but quilting (and some computer work like visiting QB or designing patterns).

It's where I have two large tables for quilting.
    #1= 44"x72" and has my machine set down into one side of it, room on the other for another machine, room for a large 35"x23" Olfa cutting mat on one end and a shelf under that end. Two machines in their cases are stored under this table.
    #2 = 63"x36" and has one end dedicated to a big 38"x28" ironing surface and the other end for in-progress stuff/ cutting mat surface. Under this table I store 4 very large Sterlite clear storage boxes of quilts and WIPs.

A Singer treadle base (no machine)which is now a table holds a nice wooden 5 drawer thread cabinet, 6 plastic drawers of frequently used notions, and a small 3 drawer container of of needles/thimbles. This sits on the original hearth of the cottage fireplace. Covering the non-working and closed-over fireplace is an antique quilt which hangs from a rod between the mantle supports.

I have a small 3-shelf bookcase; many of my quilting books are still in boxes in the attic.

All the fabric is stored on one wall, on shelves are strips, squares, triangles, remnant pieces, pieced blocks, small UFOs, some infrequently used notions. The fabric in yardage is stored in a closed cupboard in shelves by color.

Battings, less valuable finished quilts, a large container of solid color fabrics, and a large container of muslin, linen, and matlesse fabrics are stored in a large closet.

Just about the only thing that isn't in my 'studio' is my large design wall because there is no one full wall large enough for one. That resides in my bedroom. But I have smaller movable design surfaces in the studio. And the washer and dryer are literally around the corner, as close as they could possibly be and not be IN the studio space.

Even my comfy, TV watching/quilting chair is not in my studio! If you come to visit me, you'd best plan to sit on a rolling office chair!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I always think of a studio as being separate from the house, but thats just me

It's all about attitude! Mine's a studio~!

Mine is the sewing/craft room it is large about the size of a 1 car garage. But I do everything in there. Quilting, assorted forms of needle work, beading, scrapbooking, painting (oil,water, and acrlic) some small wood working projects (large ones are out in DH Shop) ceramics, jewlery making, and a few other things I'm trying just for fun.

Blog Entries
    I am working on mine to get it into the studio category. I have 3 sewing machines, and one long table, couple of smaller ones, and the plastic pull out shelves like they have at walmart, and a couple of the big plastic containers with lids for storage, and one wooden bookcase to fill with some more sewing things. But, we still have a bed in there, but are planning to take that out, and have a day bed against the wall instead. So I am still in the process, but looking forward to it. We also have a small freezer in there, but that will stay.

Like LyndaOH said, it is a state of mind. I want to call my space a studio because I think of myself as an artist--I create beauty. But my mom called her space a sewing room and that's what seems to stick in my head. I vacillate in what I call it and am working toward calling it a studio at all times.

I recently refurnished and organized my "craft room". It got to the point where I rarely created a thing in there..just went in to get some stuff out from my stash. Since I have totally redone the space I now call it my "studio". I have a few work spaces and three machines out and a quilting frame set up in the middle of the room. Its not a huge room but it is plenty of space for me to be happy in.

I think of it like when I was a child we had a parlor.....no one says that word anymore when talking about their living room. So I have left the "craft room" term behind as I left behind the term parlor. Now I have a living room in my home and I also have a studio.
    Last edited by nygal; 07-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is in one of the extra bedrooms. It is all mine; has two sewing machines, three different shelf sets to store fabrics/notions and projects. Plus a made up table in the middle to assist with cutting/trimming (major projects I still use the dining room table). A closet filled with totes and boxes each designated for something in regards to quilting. I really love it. Guess I call it a room, because that is what it is....LOL. To me a stuio is all of those super duper rooms that look like their own little house that have tons of space to walk and move around. A sewing space is just that a space in the house that we have designated for sewing (I usually have one of these). This is my first time having a room and hope to always have a room now because of all of the necessary items I have. LOL.
    Brenda

Mine is a tiny bedroom that has a sign on the door stating 'Quilting Studio'. However, due to the size of the room it is rather a tongue-in-cheek sign. Kind of like calling a one bed cottage the Ponderosa...

When I actually refer to it I tend to call it 'my room' - there is also 'his room' (with all of his computer stuff) and 'our room' which is our bedroom. So I am a bit literal. However, if I made an effort then I would try to call it 'my studio' LOL!
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

I have a sewing space. A portion of my living room is where I have my area. It is defined by a lower ceiling then the rest of the LR. I leave my sewing machine out all the time, I also have a large cutting cabinet and a cute cabinet that I store everything in. I love having my quilting area in the LR it is the heart of my home and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Blog Entries
    I think it depends on what YOU want to call it. I have a designated sewing room and that's just what I call it my sewing room. It's not that big, about a 12 X 12, with a sewing desk, a cutting table, cube bookcases and shelved ones too, and another sewing desk with my mega quilter on it. It's very compact. My son this morning called it my mechanical room, I guess due to all of the machines. I guess if you go by Fons and Porter it's a studio because it's always setup and ready to sew. I think it's like most things in life; it depends on the person. Like some say dinner and others say supper, etc. Some think a studio is large but then when you look at studio apartments they aren't very large at all.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... we have a studio, because it holds the mid-arm, the embroidery machine, the serger, and the three... four. Yes, four. Anyway, four sewing machines. And all fabric, two cutting tables, design boards, costuming gear (for the other sewing). It's a converted detached two-car garage/workshop that the previous owner built. It's the only space big enough for all our stuff!

But the hand-quilting frames are in the den in the house. *shrug*

I think it is all in your minds eye.....when I was a girl my mother had a 'space' under the stairs, then as a young mother I had a sewing room, where all I did was sew from patterns....Now I have a studio, which has my books, cutting table, machines, fabric, design wall....pictures of my creations....It is my creative space...my studio

I just think different people have preferences about what they call it. I call it my sewing room. I have a longarm in a converted back porch and I call it my longarm room or "Gabby's room". (I named my Gammill.)

Blog Entries
    I prefer to call my sewing space my "sewing room", because it is so messed up. If I called it my Studio, I would feel like I had to keep it in order.ha.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I was watching a Fons & Porter episode a few years ago and they were talking about this very thing. Mary Ann Fons stated that she thought the rule was this: If your sewing machine sits out for more than 24 hours, then you have a studio; if you have to put it away after each sewing session, then it is a sewing space" I don't know how true this is because I have a little 9' X 10' room with a walk-in closet and most of the time I leave my sewing machine up on my sewing table (even though I have a cabinet to put it away in!) And I also have to move my machine often as this room is also my computer room. All (okay, almost all) of my fabrics and sewing supplies are in this room. I don't refer to it as a studio, I call it the "Sewing Room"
    Good gracious! I just realized, according to this rule, that I have the mother of ALL sewing studios!!!!!!!!! Momto5, in her land of ALL the sewing machines are out ALL of the time...........??????LOL!!

Oh, that would be my whole house...........
    Last edited by momto5; 07-23-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added info
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I prefer to call my sewing space my "sewing room", because it is so messed up. If I called it my Studio, I would feel like I had to keep it in order.ha.
    I'm with you. My room is my sewing room. It's my kind of organized, meaning, I know where everything is, but if someone else looks in there, they think it's messy. But if I clean it, I lose everything. It happens, so I quit trying to organize it. Everything stays where I put it. I don't dare move things around. I still have a box I lost in there a month ago and can't find it because I straightened up the room. Dang!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast