Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Newbie with a silly question... >

Newbie with a silly question...

Newbie with a silly question...

Old 08-03-2009, 02:08 PM

Hi All,

Okay, I'm really intrigued by this BOM idea. If I'm getting this right, there are three different BOMs going on right now, correct? Now, here's what I don't get.... where are the details? I mean, if I want to do one of the BOMs, how do I know how many fabrics to buy in how many colors? How big will the finished quilt be? How many months will it go? What's the skill level?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I read the 'how it works' and tried to read the threads to figure all this out, but I'm stumped.

TIA,
Isabel
Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM

The directions are in the link for the block.
As for how many ...you do what you want when you want. If you cant do one this month thats OK.
I have done 1 LOL and have one sitting on my chair waiting for me to do .....
Most of them are about high beginer.....YES you are a high begginer if you want to join this .....thats all it is..frame of mind. SOme are harder than others but thats how we learn by doing. This is about fun and sharing.

the fabric is your choice...the link with the directions has how much of each but most are 2 or 3 colors and a fat quater of each would be plenty.
If you want to keep it to certian colors I am sure someone else who has moreexperience than me can helpo you figure out how much.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM

So, if I wanted to make a blue and white quilt, I could pick up some FQs in various blue and whites and I'd probably be good to go? Sorry for the silly questions!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Its NOT silly I think I asked the same one when I first started LOL

Do you want to use the same red, white and blue through the whole quilt or different ones?

Me, I would get prob 3.5 yards of each...as I said I hope someone with more experience would chime in with amounts.....
Any extra you add to your stash LOL :D
Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 AM

I am in a BOM on another forum and it has 4 colors. I bought two yards of each color. I am on the 8th block now and still have plenty of fabric left. These are 12 1/2" blocks unfinished.
Hope this helps SAHM
Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. I want to the do the pioneer blocks for my DD and I have 6 fabrics picked out that I would like to use in the quilt. Obviously the blocks wouldn't use all the colors in all the blocks but I want to incorporate all these fabrics into the quilt. Any advise on how much I should buy of each fabric? I was thinking of doing a sashing between blocks and don't know how wide it should be. I was wondering if 4 inch sashing is too wide. I'm also thinking of doing one border as flying geese withthe focus fabric as the background and the geese as each of the different fabrics, then add another wider border. Ambitious I know! Any help would be wonderful. I would like to make this quilt at least twin size, full would be better!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SAHM
Hi All,

Okay, I'm really intrigued by this BOM idea. If I'm getting this right, there are three different BOMs going on right now, correct? Now, here's what I don't get.... where are the details? I mean, if I want to do one of the BOMs, how do I know how many fabrics to buy in how many colors? How big will the finished quilt be? How many months will it go? What's the skill level?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I read the 'how it works' and tried to read the threads to figure all this out, but I'm stumped.

TIA,
Isabel
I am soooo glad you asked. I was wondering the same thing. How do we start from the beginning?

PS> oops. hadn't read the rest. :oops: Thanks for the info, MsSage.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Great advice MsSage....
K