Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Silly question about my sewing room

I LUV this thread -- just learned that I'm not the only one to have a "studio" in my living room -- mine is a 42" table, located behind the sofa, and holds my sewing machine and serger full time -- except when I'm quilting something big, when the serger is then stored in a plastic bin beside the table, allowing an area for the sewing machine extension table -- the quilt itself will drape across the sofa when working on the binding, etc. This allows me to stay in the "heart" of our home. There are just two of us here now -- with 3 bedrooms upstairs, so this was a choice we made to share our time together. I use the dining room table as my cutting space, and an upstairs bedroom has ironing and stash area (a huge 1850s dresser). By keeping the ironing board upstairs, I qualify by quilting as "exercise". Nice to know how we all love the artistry and construction of quilting, in our very different environments.

Blog Entries
    In our old place I had a sewing space. A sewing table with a machine, a closet with everything stuffed in it. In our new place I have a large room with two newer machines, a cutting table, a china cabinet with all of my fabric, ruler folded, a closet to hold the fabric on bolts, batting, etc. I made it my studio by adding things that just make me feel good. My grandmother-inlaw's rocker that she used to quilt in, an inhereted treadle, the pie safe my dh gave me to hold all my quilt books, and decor that I love, love, love. Sometimes I do call it my studio. But, I almost always call
    it my happy place. I smile everytime I enter.
    Happy Quilting.

I call mine my studio about half the time and my sewing room the other half...it is a separate building. The mfr. calls it a garden shed!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    In my little antique cottage, my living room has been turned into my "studio". I call it that because it IS a dedicated space for nothing but quilting (and some computer work like visiting QB or designing patterns).

It's where I have two large tables for quilting.
    #1= 44"x72" and has my machine set down into one side of it, room on the other for another machine, room for a large 35"x23" Olfa cutting mat on one end and a shelf under that end. Two machines in their cases are stored under this table.
    #2 = 63"x36" and has one end dedicated to a big 38"x28" ironing surface and the other end for in-progress stuff/ cutting mat surface. Under this table I store 4 very large Sterlite clear storage boxes of quilts and WIPs.

A Singer treadle base (no machine)which is now a table holds a nice wooden 5 drawer thread cabinet, 6 plastic drawers of frequently used notions, and a small 3 drawer container of of needles/thimbles. This sits on the original hearth of the cottage fireplace. Covering the non-working and closed-over fireplace is an antique quilt which hangs from a rod between the mantle supports.

I have a small 3-shelf bookcase; many of my quilting books are still in boxes in the attic.

All the fabric is stored on one wall, on shelves are strips, squares, triangles, remnant pieces, pieced blocks, small UFOs, some infrequently used notions. The fabric in yardage is stored in a closed cupboard in shelves by color.

Battings, less valuable finished quilts, a large container of solid color fabrics, and a large container of muslin, linen, and matlesse fabrics are stored in a large closet.

Just about the only thing that isn't in my 'studio' is my large design wall because there is no one full wall large enough for one. That resides in my bedroom. But I have smaller movable design surfaces in the studio. And the washer and dryer are literally around the corner, as close as they could possibly be and not be IN the studio space.

Even my comfy, TV watching/quilting chair is not in my studio! If you come to visit me, you'd best plan to sit on a rolling office chair!

Jan in VA
    I would love to visit with you and sit a spell. You must live all by yourself! If I would live alone I would have what you have. Who needs a livingroom!
    Donna

This sounds like my room my husband also shares the room with me he is a ham also WA3SYR. Room is also used as our computer room. I may be moving to a bigger room as he is taking over with all the radios.

Personally I would think someone who creates a product for sale or someone who quilts to "show" their art would need a studio. For me...I do not do either necessarily...even though I have put a couple things I didn't give away on etsy, but I consider my sewing room...just that a room.

When my husband can't find me , he'll yell "Are you in your room" yep, it's my room and nobody elses.
    I can call it what I want. I don't think it matters how big or how much stuff you have, to have a studio or sewing room, or no room at all. We plan, create and do our thing anywhere we can.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I just call mine "My Sewing Room"..it use to be my formal living room, that never was used for that..it has it's own door and you step down in it..My home was built in '67..it is quite a large room..I have cabinets on top an bottom on one end of the room.with sewing machine and cabinet fitted in the built ins....computer desk on the other end and all my sewing things in between...I literally stay in there most of the time..unless I need to clean, cook or do laundry...I love it...just DH and I...he loves to read, and watch tv, when he can't get outside to do anything...either raining or too hot..I'm usually sewing or on the computer...I stay busy...grandson is with us this summer and he plays his games on the tv in the sewing room, he's 12 and sometimes he pieces blocks..or he's on the computer...everyone is happy...dream of having a separate building with longarm and all my things...then I would call it my Studio..but don't see that in the plans anytime soon...so I'm very appreciative of what I do have...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I would think a studio is a big room with several sewing machines and lots of cabinets and closets. A big stash of fabrics and several comfy chairs. Wait, that sounds like my dream, oh well, just what I think.
    Yep, this is what I have. It was my lifelong dream. I don't have any comfy chairs, but I have everything else. It is my de-stressing space also. When I am in my "studio" (3/4 of the basement) the rest of the world ceases to matter to me.

Blog Entries
    A sewing room turns into a studio with your first sale.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

My dh calls it the "sewing room". I call it "my play room" I have built in cabinets on two of the walls, they came out of a kitchen orginally. A huge island in the center of the room with cabinets. I have my big board ironing board that my dh made me. A closet full of material. Four sewing machines that are set up and a serger. A double design wall too. I wish the room was twice as big though. A new TV, and after all this, I flow into my dh's den and the attic. I think of a studio as a room specially designed, with no expenses spared and just takes your breathe away.

Blog Entries
    For some reason I think of a studio as large and having a long arm. I have a sewing room because that is what my DH calls it. I think it is the same difference as a "vase" and a "vase". Lol
    Sewflower

From one end to the other

One of my quilting frames I put in front of the windows. . .gotta see what's going on you know. I love this frame. It is made by the Amish (I just know the spelling is wrong When I feel the need to be on the move I put my current "in process" quilt in my huge hoop (in must be a quality hoop or you're in trouble, don't ask me how I know that hee hee.) Only thing is I haven't found a heavy duty plastic bag to put it in yet. Someone said (me? ha) the chemicals from the bag might damage my quilt. . .you gotta know I would get a little crazy if that happened. I must say I love quilting!

I think it's whatever you wish to call it. My sewing room is my bedroom, and my son calls it my studio.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Thanks for the name, I now have a studio instead of a room!
    When my husband was making my table? cabinet? for my machine, I told him not to bother with one of those 'lifts.' I told him I don't see myself not having it up very often, and the lift was a little over $100. He said "Good, makes my job easier."
    My studio (LOL) used to be the old dining room, so I just close the door, making it seem to be clean. Plus, it's right next to the kitchen (uh oh)
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I started with a small room off the den. I took over the den, then the guest bedroom next to the den. I had both rooms redone to be all mine. DH has his man cave room with his big tv plus a shop with all his tools. The kids complained about no den anymore but of course were told it's your home not your house. LOL
    I think the kids are gone most of the time anyway.

The floor plan calls it a bedroom, but there is no bed in it, and there are no clothes in the walk-in closet. I just call it my room.
    Shirley in Arizona

I have a two bedroom apartment, so one bedroom is where my sewing machine, ironing board is left up all the time then there is a tv, oak desk for copier/computer/chair are there along with my meditation chair and lamp/table. I also put up my little quilting frame when needed 27" x 39". A double bookcase for quilting and other books and one side is also is used for small fabric projects and quilting tools. In other words, I live in this room most of the time. I would like more room but make do with what I have.

Sewing space vs Sewing studio---state of mind ..... I have the master bedroom and closet, this is my 'room', but I guess in reality it is my 'studio'. Everything but the kitchen is in there.... (of course the kitchen is just around the corner) LOL!

I started with a sewing space, my kitchen table.
    Finally took down my home office and turned into a sewing room. Gathered all supplies in one place.
    It is so nice. I now can find what I need when I need it.
    To me a studio is separate from the house with lots of storage space.

My sewing room is also my computer room (it used to be the "study"). I replaced my desktop computer with a laptop, so my sewing paraphernalia could have maximum space. I won't think of it as a "studio", though, until I get a "real" sewing table to replace the computer desk. BTW, if you put your printer next to your sewing surface, it makes a great quilt support!

When you become an "artist" instead of a "quilter"!

My "sewing room" is in a spare bedroom. I have a hanging cabinet, four tables, 2 chests, and a large dresser, 2 rolling drawers. Everything is full! I did take about two weeks to arrange my fabric on boards that fit in the drawers of the dresser. I love it! I can open a drawer and see at a glance what fabric I have. Before it was all stacked, I use the term loosely, in the drawers and tubs. Still have a lot of cleaning out to do but had to stop to sew a baby quilt for a new great grandbaby-to-be.

I think you can call your 'space' what ever you want....its your air !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    to me a sewing room is where your mother went to sew your school clothes and mend your brothers pants....A marvelous "Sewing Studio" is were we sewers/piecers/quilts go to CREATE marvelous objects......

My mother sewed on the breakfast-nook table in a little 6 foot square area where all seven of us kids ate most meals, unless she was sewing. The room had a bench on each side with an upholstered lid, her fabrics stored inside the benches, and a table between. It was wall to wall benches and table. Her machine was rarely put away...a 1940's Singer. She sewed wedding trousseau's, took in alterations, made all our clothing, reupholstered when needed, AND she quilted! The "rag man" came by with his huge truck once a week and he gave her the "pick of the crop" at no charge because they were good family friends. (My dad was the head maintenance man at Chas Pfizer Co in their Groton, CT plant.)

All of our homes, up to now, were big enough that I always had my own sewing / craft room. I now use a corner of our master bedroom. It puts me "at risk" of DH visits, which seem to be constant some days. I'm ok with the space, would love to have much more of it, but we've downsized since retiring so I'll deal with it. I try not to identify with "my space", other than it's where I go to do what I like to do. I don't think sewing has anything to do with space available (unless you're making money at it) so much as what to do with DH! =D
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast