Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silly question about my sewing room >

Silly question about my sewing room

Silly question about my sewing room

Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Personally I would think someone who creates a product for sale or someone who quilts to "show" their art would need a studio. For me...I do not do either necessarily...even though I have put a couple things I didn't give away on etsy, but I consider my sewing room...just that a room.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM

When my husband can't find me , he'll yell "Are you in your room" yep, it's my room and nobody elses.
I can call it what I want. I don't think it matters how big or how much stuff you have, to have a studio or sewing room, or no room at all. We plan, create and do our thing anywhere we can.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM

I just call mine "My Sewing Room"..it use to be my formal living room, that never was used for that..it has it's own door and you step down in it..My home was built in '67..it is quite a large room..I have cabinets on top an bottom on one end of the room.with sewing machine and cabinet fitted in the built ins....computer desk on the other end and all my sewing things in between...I literally stay in there most of the time..unless I need to clean, cook or do laundry...I love it...just DH and I...he loves to read, and watch tv, when he can't get outside to do anything...either raining or too hot..I'm usually sewing or on the computer...I stay busy...grandson is with us this summer and he plays his games on the tv in the sewing room, he's 12 and sometimes he pieces blocks..or he's on the computer...everyone is happy...dream of having a separate building with longarm and all my things...then I would call it my Studio..but don't see that in the plans anytime soon...so I'm very appreciative of what I do have...
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I would think a studio is a big room with several sewing machines and lots of cabinets and closets. A big stash of fabrics and several comfy chairs. Wait, that sounds like my dream, oh well, just what I think.
Yep, this is what I have. It was my lifelong dream. I don't have any comfy chairs, but I have everything else. It is my de-stressing space also. When I am in my "studio" (3/4 of the basement) the rest of the world ceases to matter to me.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 AM
Swap Hosts

A sewing room turns into a studio with your first sale.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 AM

My dh calls it the "sewing room". I call it "my play room" I have built in cabinets on two of the walls, they came out of a kitchen orginally. A huge island in the center of the room with cabinets. I have my big board ironing board that my dh made me. A closet full of material. Four sewing machines that are set up and a serger. A double design wall too. I wish the room was twice as big though. A new TV, and after all this, I flow into my dh's den and the attic. I think of a studio as a room specially designed, with no expenses spared and just takes your breathe away.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 AM

For some reason I think of a studio as large and having a long arm. I have a sewing room because that is what my DH calls it. I think it is the same difference as a "vase" and a "vase". Lol
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 AM

Default From one end to the other

One of my quilting frames I put in front of the windows. . .gotta see what's going on you know. I love this frame. It is made by the Amish (I just know the spelling is wrong When I feel the need to be on the move I put my current "in process" quilt in my huge hoop (in must be a quality hoop or you're in trouble, don't ask me how I know that hee hee.) Only thing is I haven't found a heavy duty plastic bag to put it in yet. Someone said (me? ha) the chemicals from the bag might damage my quilt. . .you gotta know I would get a little crazy if that happened. I must say I love quilting!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 AM

I think it's whatever you wish to call it. My sewing room is my bedroom, and my son calls it my studio.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the name, I now have a studio instead of a room!
When my husband was making my table? cabinet? for my machine, I told him not to bother with one of those 'lifts.' I told him I don't see myself not having it up very often, and the lift was a little over $100. He said "Good, makes my job easier."
My studio (LOL) used to be the old dining room, so I just close the door, making it seem to be clean. Plus, it's right next to the kitchen (uh oh)