Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Silly question about my sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/silly-question-about-my-sewing-room-t195418.html)

amyjo 07-24-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5386349)
I started with a small room off the den. I took over the den, then the guest bedroom next to the den. I had both rooms redone to be all mine. DH has his man cave room with his big tv plus a shop with all his tools. The kids complained about no den anymore but of course were told it's your home not your house. LOL

I think the kids are gone most of the time anyway.

ShirlinAZ 07-24-2012 06:12 AM

The floor plan calls it a bedroom, but there is no bed in it, and there are no clothes in the walk-in closet. I just call it my room.

IdahoSandy 07-24-2012 06:50 AM

I have a two bedroom apartment, so one bedroom is where my sewing machine, ironing board is left up all the time then there is a tv, oak desk for copier/computer/chair are there along with my meditation chair and lamp/table. I also put up my little quilting frame when needed 27" x 39". A double bookcase for quilting and other books and one side is also is used for small fabric projects and quilting tools. In other words, I live in this room most of the time. I would like more room but make do with what I have.

CoyoteQuilts 07-24-2012 07:07 AM

Sewing space vs Sewing studio---state of mind :)..... I have the master bedroom and closet, this is my 'room', but I guess in reality it is my 'studio'. Everything but the kitchen is in there.... (of course the kitchen is just around the corner) LOL!

cpcarolyn 07-24-2012 07:13 AM

I started with a sewing space, my kitchen table.
Finally took down my home office and turned into a sewing room. Gathered all supplies in one place.
It is so nice. I now can find what I need when I need it.
To me a studio is separate from the house with lots of storage space.

nuevaquilter 07-24-2012 07:46 AM

My sewing room is also my computer room (it used to be the "study"). I replaced my desktop computer with a laptop, so my sewing paraphernalia could have maximum space. I won't think of it as a "studio", though, until I get a "real" sewing table to replace the computer desk. BTW, if you put your printer next to your sewing surface, it makes a great quilt support!

rosiewell 07-24-2012 07:48 AM

When you become an "artist" instead of a "quilter"!

Donna in Mo 07-24-2012 07:54 AM

My "sewing room" is in a spare bedroom. I have a hanging cabinet, four tables, 2 chests, and a large dresser, 2 rolling drawers. Everything is full! I did take about two weeks to arrange my fabric on boards that fit in the drawers of the dresser. I love it! I can open a drawer and see at a glance what fabric I have. Before it was all stacked, I use the term loosely, in the drawers and tubs. Still have a lot of cleaning out to do but had to stop to sew a baby quilt for a new great grandbaby-to-be.

Deborahlees 07-24-2012 07:54 AM

I think you can call your 'space' what ever you want....its your air !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to me a sewing room is where your mother went to sew your school clothes and mend your brothers pants....A marvelous "Sewing Studio" is were we sewers/piecers/quilts go to CREATE marvelous objects......

Helen S 07-24-2012 08:22 AM

My mother sewed on the breakfast-nook table in a little 6 foot square area where all seven of us kids ate most meals, unless she was sewing. The room had a bench on each side with an upholstered lid, her fabrics stored inside the benches, and a table between. It was wall to wall benches and table. Her machine was rarely put away...a 1940's Singer. She sewed wedding trousseau's, took in alterations, made all our clothing, reupholstered when needed, AND she quilted! The "rag man" came by with his huge truck once a week and he gave her the "pick of the crop" at no charge because they were good family friends. (My dad was the head maintenance man at Chas Pfizer Co in their Groton, CT plant.)

All of our homes, up to now, were big enough that I always had my own sewing / craft room. I now use a corner of our master bedroom. It puts me "at risk" of DH visits, which seem to be constant some days. I'm ok with the space, would love to have much more of it, but we've downsized since retiring so I'll deal with it. I try not to identify with "my space", other than it's where I go to do what I like to do. I don't think sewing has anything to do with space available (unless you're making money at it) so much as what to do with DH! =D