Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simple-machine-quilting-log-cabin-quilt-t113240.html)

quilterella 04-04-2011 12:44 AM

Your quilt is very beautiful.. I love the log cabin and have made numerous ones. A lot of people will say quilt curves for staight patterns, but, I prefer to quilt 1/4" on either side of the seams on every other log. I like the way it makes things pop.

alleyoop1 04-04-2011 03:03 AM

I finished a log cabin last year and had it quilted by someone with a long arm. She did an all over meander which turned out beautiful.

seamstress 04-04-2011 03:11 AM

Pretty log cabin.I am wondering the best way to quilt a log cabin.

Mary L Booth 04-04-2011 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of mine, I did stipple and little hearts FM.

Scrappy log
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179453[/ATTACH]

quilticing 04-04-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Beautiful quilt!!! How about feathers in all the light areas, using light beige thread,,, and feathers in the darker areas using a darker thread..???? Quilting will only enhance the beauty of this quilt. Great job!!

I agree on this. Anything swirly too. It's so beautiful and also in my top 3 for favorite patterns!! You did a great job :thumbup:

I have done this and it's beautiful. Another suggestion is an all-over theme such as flowers, cats, horses, are some.

bigsister63 04-04-2011 04:00 AM

It depends on what you want. Do you want colors and pattern to stand out or quilting to stand out? I would do SID on connecting seams and then SID only in blocks that meet with stitching requirement as stated on batting package. (eg- batting should be quilted less that 3.5" apart.) I always use invesible thread on top and you can not see stitching or mistakes. This may be time consuming but I think will be well worth it. I recently did one that I wish I had taken time to do SID on all seams instead of large meandering. Oh well!

mshollysd 04-04-2011 04:02 AM

I am a big fan of meandering. There are many different patterns to meander now. I meandered with hearts before, and vines. Look on line for quilting patterns, that is what I did.

mshollysd 04-04-2011 04:03 AM

BTW that quilt is beautiful, forgot to tell you that in my last post.

damaquilts 04-04-2011 04:03 AM

A lot of the old fashioned ones had "Baptist Fans" quilting. I guess it depends on what you like. Someone on here gave me a great idea for trying out quilting designs. Print a photo of the quilt and try different things. Saved me a bunch of time.I printed mine out in grey scale.

jfnancy 04-04-2011 04:23 AM

I stiched in the ditch starting at the middle working my way around each square. I think in a log cabin pattern you want to see the the fabric combo and not the fancy quilting. Simple is more.