Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simple machine quilting for a Log Cabin Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simple-machine-quilting-log-cabin-quilt-t113240.html)

Gerbie 04-04-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sugarmag
Hi! New to the forum here but look forward to it!

I am finishing up my first log cabin quilt and as such, it is a busy quilt on it's own. Can anyone recommend a good quilting "pattern" or other, for the top that will not take away from the log cabin blocks but will still compliment the top? I was already thinking of using an invisible nylon thread for the top thread, but having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with it.

My layout is a barn raising set square with well defined lights and darks.

Thanks!

For me when I do log Cabins, I really like to just stitch in the ditch. Then nothing is really taken away from the pattern itself. I don't send my quilts to LA's. and do them myself, but I have made two king size LC's and stitched in the ditch on both of them. My smaller ones the same, but this is must my preference.
By the way, I love your quilt and the colors you used. You really did a great job on it.

scu114 04-04-2011 11:50 AM

Has anyone ever done a log cabin "quilt as you go?" . I just finished one ( my profile picture) and working on my second one now. EASY to do and when the blocks are together- its done. :)

IDquilter 04-04-2011 01:18 PM

Beautiful!

dgbrandt 04-04-2011 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by scu114
Has anyone ever done a log cabin "quilt as you go?" . I just finished one ( my profile picture) and working on my second one now. EASY to do and when the blocks are together- its done. :)

How do you do Quilt as you go ? Do you have a pattern or di you just make it up yourself?

scu114 04-04-2011 02:07 PM

Very simple. I did use a pattern from a book. Basically- as I sewed the strips to each other-- I was doing it on the batting and back square-- This was my third quilt- so that will tell you how easy it was. I will look for the book. Made the whole quilt reversible too:)

dgbrandt 04-04-2011 02:24 PM

It looks like you did an awesome job for a 3rd quilt!

joann hussey 04-04-2011 02:57 PM

I quilted in the ditch, looks good

penichandler 04-04-2011 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a log cabin for my husband and didn't want to do any fancy quilting on it. I just did straight line quilting in a chevon pattern in each quarter after doing a big X across the center. Hope you can see enough detail in the picture.

Tweety2911 04-04-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Beautiful quilt!!! How about feathers in all the light areas, using light beige thread,,, and feathers in the darker areas using a darker thread..???? Quilting will only enhance the beauty of this quilt. Great job!!

I agree on this. Anything swirly too. It's so beautiful and also in my top 3 for favorite patterns!! You did a great job :thumbup:

Ditto:-)

Sugarmag 04-04-2011 06:50 PM

You all are so supportive! Thanks so much for all the ideas! I haven't had a chance to get to know my way around the board yet but thanks for posting the link to the LC photos. I got some great ideas from those and from you all. I should have posted an updated pic of the quilt top, that pic was the blocks laid out on the floor. I now have it all sewn together with a border.

I'm leaning on SITD as I like the way it looked on the pictures I saw and maybe feathers on the border. I will need to practice my FM a bit before I do the border...it's been awhile. :-) there were so many ideas...and interestingly enough, they all looked great in pics I saw. LC quilts lend themselves to so much fun. I'm glad I finally got around to making one.

Thanks for the info on the threads, all this is extremely helpful. I promise to post my pic when I complete it.