Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Simply Quilt Programs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/simply-quilt-programs-t81217.html)

Glenda m 12-08-2010 01:49 PM

And this house sells for only $$$$. Most people don't have that kind of money and it gets so silly to watch. I do like looking for houses internationaly. I watch for the scenery!! LOL But the good news.. The DH and I have saved enough that with a little help from his GM, we are giving ourselves the Christmas present of paying off the house!! Can we say YES!!! This place only cost us $40 so many years ago and it is 4 bedroom and 2 bath. And I did all the decorating, so it's the way we like it. Sorry to go on like this, but GM had me go to the bank today and we just found out its possible.

TX GMimi 12-08-2010 01:58 PM

Congratulations!!! That is quite a achievment and it feels so good - no more house payment!!!! What a Christmas present!

Sweeterthanwine 12-08-2010 03:10 PM

Sent my email to HGTV today and plan on doing some more in the coming weeks. Maybe they will hear us!!

patdesign 12-08-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I am not big on the buying a new home type of show!

Same here. Too many times I've seen people walk into a home that looks pretty much like mine and comment on how "dated and old" it looks and they could never live there. Just got tired of hearing it. I realize my house is no mansion but I don't live in a dump by any means. Those shows are designed to feed their sponsors - make us unhappy with what we've got so we'll buy their products. Sorry, I'm comfortable, I'm satisfied, I won't go into debt.
And that's my rant for today. :)

I have to agree this type of program is dated, I am a professional interior designer, licensed, degree holding, and would never foist off the terrible ideas they pose to the public. No self respecting designer would go into a home and make a potential client unhappy. We try to get to the soul of the home and understand the clients needs. These programs do exactly what you said, they try to sell their sponsors products, and nearly killed the real profession of Interior Design. I will now step down off my soap box! :D

LucyInTheSky 12-08-2010 03:38 PM

I'm a 25 year old and I agree with you that I want my Simply Quilts back. Hate the home improvement shows. I canceled my cable ... wow, 2 years ago now, and I very rarely miss it.

Janice Thompson 12-08-2010 04:31 PM

I quit watching HGTV when they took off Simply Quilts. I now watch Eleanor Burns on Wednesday afternoon on RFD. Fons and Porter daily on
BYU.

Ramona Byrd 12-08-2010 04:40 PM

I'm pretty sick of home improvement and buying the house of your dreams shows.[/quote]
------------------
I'm also sick of the home improvement thing, but with me it's either learn to do it myself or hire it done by expensive experts.
Surprising what an old lady of 77 can do in an old house with a lot of power tools. And no one to tell me a better way but for those guys on the Internet.

olebat 12-08-2010 04:46 PM

You are all right. HGTV has gone to the dogs, and the true home decorating, craft, and sewing programs are inaccessible. Fortunately, I live on the Georgia/South Carolina border. Georgia PBS stinks, but the SC PBS carries several good programs which focus on the arts. Unfortunately, I have to get up at 0500 to watch them. I record them onto the computer, then cut to CD. There are a few quality subscription only programs on the internet which I am considering. Sharon Shamber being one of them. I figure if I can drop big bucks on fabrics and sewing equipment from time to time, I can do the same for my educational enhancement.

I entertained the idea of HGTV for Men and another HGTV for Women. Then I thought of all the men who are tailors, quilters fine art craftsmen and painters. Also, what about the children? The arts and family and consumer sciences programs are being removed from the schools. Kids barely know their colors, much less how to match them when they dress for school. They can't replace a lost button, or make a pot holder for Mother's Day. They watch the big tube or the flat screen when playing games, but not to learn new crafts. They need the sewing 101 programs as much as their mothers/care providers. Those programs ought be on rabbit ear access TV, not subscription service. What we need is an ARTS Network. Any suggestions as to what the ARTS would stand for?

Nolee 12-08-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
You are all right. HGTV has gone to the dogs, and the true home decorating, craft, and sewing programs are inaccessible. Fortunately, I live on the Georgia/South Carolina border. Georgia PBS stinks, but the SC PBS carries several good programs which focus on the arts. Unfortunately, I have to get up at 0500 to watch them. I record them onto the computer, then cut to CD. There are a few quality subscription only programs on the internet which I am considering. Sharon Shamber being one of them. I figure if I can drop big bucks on fabrics and sewing equipment from time to time, I can do the same for my educational enhancement.

I entertained the idea of HGTV for Men and another HGTV for Women. Then I thought of all the men who are tailors, quilters fine art craftsmen and painters. Also, what about the children? The arts and family and consumer sciences programs are being removed from the schools. Kids barely know their colors, much less how to match them when they dress for school. They can't replace a lost button, or make a pot holder for Mother's Day. They watch the big tube or the flat screen when playing games, but not to learn new crafts. They need the sewing 101 programs as much as their mothers/care providers. Those programs ought be on rabbit ear access TV, not subscription service. What we need is an ARTS Network. Any suggestions as to what the ARTS would stand for?

Always Ready to Sew, LOLLLLLLLLLL

bbeyes 12-08-2010 05:06 PM

Fons & Porter are on PBS but I don't know which day they come on TV