Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer 301 FMQ Feet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-301-fmq-feet-t159706.html)

quiltingcurious 10-11-2011 12:20 PM

I'd like to know some online sites to buy slant feet to do free motion quilting.
The style I see most often is a square lucite foot that doesn't have much visibility.
If you have different style that work for you, let me know where you found them.
I'd like an open toe design.
Thanks

hobbykat1955 10-11-2011 03:49 PM

I bought my FM foot for my 301 and 301 thru SewClassic.com
I used it love it and it's cheap 5.99...Got into site, on left click on parts...then on left click on slant needle...
I highly recommend this foot. But they do have other versions also.
Also bought the 1/4 inch foot with guide and walking foot there for the 301's..

quiltingcurious 10-11-2011 03:56 PM

Thank you will try it. Did you also try the walking foot and stitch in the ditch foot? What is the walking foot to be used for?

thepolyparrot 10-11-2011 04:04 PM

Jenny at sew-classic.com has a couple of different kinds for slants.

I found a vintage 301 darning foot on eBay, but honestly, I prefer the one with the square lucite "foot" to the very expensive original foot. :)

The visibility is actually very good - but you might have to spend half an hour quilting with it to get used to it.

I think you have to remove the lowest thread - or maybe it was the thread cutter - to get any but the original vintage foot to fit on some 301's. Mine didn't seem to have this problem, but I know some have.

thepolyparrot 10-11-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcurious
What is the walking foot to be used for?

It's also called an even feed foot and it was originally sold as an aid for matching plaids and sewing long seams - you know how when you're making a pair of pants, you start off with the sides being the same length but then you get to the end and the fabric on top is an inch (or more!) longer than the fabric on the bottom.

It's very good for quilting because it keeps the top from stretching out fasting than the backing fabric.

It's also great for sewing long strips together when piecing and sewing the binding to the edge of the quilt. :)

miriam 10-11-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Jenny at sew-classic.com has a couple of different kinds for slants.

I found a vintage 301 darning foot on eBay, but honestly, I prefer the one with the square lucite "foot" to the very expensive original foot. :)

The visibility is actually very good - but you might have to spend half an hour quilting with it to get used to it.

I think you have to remove the lowest thread - or maybe it was the thread cutter - to get any but the original vintage foot to fit on some 301's. Mine didn't seem to have this problem, but I know some have.

Jenny also has bobbins (they work too)

hobbykat1955 10-11-2011 04:27 PM

Thank you will try it. Did you also try the walking foot and stitch in the ditch foot? What is the walking foot to be used for?

I use my walking foot for SID...and yes I have used all and work great. But on the walking foot I waited until they had the exact one in stock for the 301 so I didn't have to make any adjustments for it to fit...They state it on their site...make sure to read since they have two walking feet...you want the 301 only foot

quiltingcurious 10-11-2011 05:00 PM

I guess the square lucite one from the picture looks like it is offset to one side rather than right in front of the needle and that is why I thought it would be harder to do the FMQ if you had to contend with something offset.

quiltingcurious 10-11-2011 05:02 PM

Thank you for all the information, need the input to make the decision to get the foot that works well so I can concentrate on the FMQ.

miriam 10-11-2011 08:30 PM

I guess the square lucite one from the picture looks like it is offset to one side rather than right in front of the needle and that is why I thought it would be harder to do the FMQ if you had to contend with something offset.

not the one I got - it was right in front