Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-featherweight-t42366.html)

pflum1 04-13-2010 05:16 AM

Clem,
Most featherweights starting price is about $250 up. Depends on if the gold trim is in good shape and the machine is original. Once they have been painted or pieces changed out, they lose their value. A good machine will probably sell for about $400 in TX. Different prices by location. A person maybe able to find a good machine cheaper if the person selling doesn't know the price.

lass 04-13-2010 05:17 AM

The class sounds like a good one. I got my FW in 1966 from my mom to take to college. She had it serviced at that time. I have sewn clothes; boat covers; curtains and now am using it for class at a mystery meeting once a month. Have never had it serviced since then. Just clean out the dust, etc. It is a true workhorse.

Jingle 04-13-2010 05:30 AM

Looks beautiful. A class for maintence would be good. I had a chance year ago to buy a book on machine maintence, didn't buy it and wish I would have.

BrendaH 04-13-2010 06:01 AM

I hope you can share what you learn in the class with us. I own 4 Featherweights and think about selling them. I have never done ANYTHING with them, and wish that I could clean and maintain them. That might encourage me to USE at least one of them.

I'm interested in knowing where to oil, what to oil, which KIND of oil to use, etc... and about 1,000 other questions.

I use Schmetz needles in my other machines, but am guessing only Singer needles in the Featherweight?

Brenda in Iowa

OmaForFour 04-13-2010 06:33 AM

Every time I think about the Singer Treadle Machine my Mom put out for the garbage when I was a teen, I want to cry. It had a beautifully carved wooden cabinet also.

My Brother XR52 just broke down. I have a timing problem and won't get it back for a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I decided to borrow my daughter's machine which had belonged to my MIL. I didn't remember what it looked like and assumed it was an old Pfaff like his aunt had. I just found out from him that it is a SINGER FEATHERWEIGHT!!!!! I may end up trying to trade machines with her! She does very little sewing. Only a project once in a blue moon for the kids for school. All her mending etc. she gives to me because she doesn't have time she says.

Oh Boy! Am I ever excited now!

pollyjvan9 04-13-2010 06:43 AM

I would love to have a featherweight. I carry a Juki 98Q or a Baby Lock Ellegante to a sit and stitch on Wednesdays and because of the name thought a featherweight would be lighter and easier for me carry, but a friend told me they are just as heavy or heavier than most machines because they are all metal. Is this true? Does anyone know how much a Featherweight weighs?

BrendaH 04-13-2010 07:12 AM

I think Featherweights are someplace between 9 and 11 pounds.

Yes, they are all metal, but they are small and don't have all the computers and extra stuff that today's machines have.

Featherweights are VERY popular among quilters and ladies who take machines to classes, etc, because of their light weight.

I used to have a 95 year old aunt who carried her Featherweight to sewing classes and monthly sewing meetings.

wickn34 04-13-2010 07:22 AM

My feather weight weighs 25 lbs.

Wickn34

wickn34 04-13-2010 07:24 AM

My feather weight weighs 25 lbs.

Wickn34

BrendaH 04-13-2010 07:25 AM

You're KIDDING!!

Do you have one of the portable Featherweights?

I have 4 Featherweights and they are about 9 pounds each.