Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sister-in-law requested quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sister-law-requested-quilt-t267378.html)

minky 07-10-2015 07:46 AM

My prerequisite for quilts is a thanks for the first one. I have 2 sisters and a niece that will never receive another quilt due to the fact I never received a thank you…Plus, I have one sister that wants a king size bed quilt for her new condo, but doesn't what to pay...not happening. I gave her a price for one that she liked, she told me I was pricing myself to high. I
gave her names of quilter in her area. Told her to try and match my quote. I guess, now, I'm the mean sister...LOL.

AZ Jane 07-10-2015 08:51 AM

I have gone the "I would love to, there are several ahead of you but you are definitely on the list!" Hint - that list will never change.

AZ Jane 07-10-2015 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7252705)
Whenever someone hints at a quilt, I tell them to buy me a yard of a focus fabric in colors and that they love. Then I'll make a quilt similar to the fabric. Well, to date, I have never received a yard of fabric. See, it's too much trouble for them to go to the fabric store much less spend "their" money to buy fabric. I don't promise to use their fabric, just the colors.

Another great idea!!

kiffie2413 07-10-2015 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 7252705)
Whenever someone hints at a quilt, I tell them to buy me a yard of a focus fabric in colors and that they love. Then I'll make a quilt similar to the fabric. Well, to date, I have never received a yard of fabric. See, it's too much trouble for them to go to the fabric store much less spend "their" money to buy fabric. I don't promise to use their fabric, just the colors.

What a great response! I get asked quite often, "What would you charge to make me a quilt?".
And I expect what they're really asking is "Will you make me a quilt no charge?"
I usually go with the flow...I've made a few for some people I'm really close to, and give them for a birthday, etc.
What makes my flow "interrupted" is when I'm asked to make something, and it's immediately followed by, "It shouldn't be THAT difficult, right??

madamekelly 07-10-2015 09:10 AM

My favorite exchange about making a quilt, went something like this-
"Oh, what a pretty quilt, make me one?" My answer was "sewing is my hobby, not my business." Her response- " it would only take you a little time, and since you already have so much fabric, it would be free to do"! Really? Did she think the fabric fairy gave it to me? My thought was "(I paid something for every piece of fabric I own, ecept for the christmas fabric I inherited from Grandma. The only free quilt I have ever heard of is from a charity, and no you can't have one of those either... )" Some people's children....

Sandygirl 07-10-2015 09:21 AM

My response to someone who asked me if I made purses for others (as she admired my large tote). Smiling sweetly, I replied " i have 8 hours of labor in this tote". She hid her face and said. "NEVER MIND!" She and I are friends and she was kidding in her responce. And she fully got it!

Her reaction to it made me WANT.to make her a purse after that! But so far I have not. It was fun.

sandy

IBQUILTIN 07-10-2015 09:45 AM

Ask for color preference, size and if they have a specific pattern in mind. If not, just make what you like in the size that is asked for.

Jeanne S 07-10-2015 11:06 AM

[QUOTE. It also depends on how she is going to care for it. My one sister carefully brainwashed every thing I give her. My other sister throws everything into the washer and dryer. [/QUOTE]

i really got tickled visualizing brainwashing a quilt!! LOL, thanks for making my day! ;o)

Latrinka 07-10-2015 04:54 PM

I have found what works for me is to say no, it definitely results in a positive experience, JMHO!

mom-6 07-10-2015 05:13 PM

I make quilts on my own (ever changing) schedule. And just because I've found the perfect set of fabrics already doesn't necessarily mean your quilt will be finished next. I often hop from one project to another seemingly at random. Even if yours is already a completed top and is ready to be quilted it may still be awhile (or maybe not) before that happens. Just depends. . .