Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Six-Hour Quilts..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/six-hour-quilts-t104327.html)

darlin121 03-03-2011 11:07 PM

So it takes Laye Woods 6 hours to a quilt huh? .....She must be on daylight savings time and gained an hour lol

gzuslivz 03-03-2011 11:17 PM

I'm thinkin' 6 hours in an alternate universe!

mamadale 03-04-2011 12:25 AM

That, now, is funny..true where I'm concerned, but funny

emerald46 03-04-2011 04:31 AM

I believe all those "quickie" quilts are like the cooking shows...there is a team doing all the prep work...lol. Instead of a sous chef I need a sous cutter/ironer.

IBQLTN 03-04-2011 05:06 AM

Kaye has a sit and sew at a lot of shows where folks drop in and work on the 6 hour quilt for charity. Last I saw she was still using a lowloft polyester batting that is bonded? and to me, rather stiff? You can buy it off the roll at JoAnns. I had a friend try this quilt with warm and natural batting and she had a difficult time keeping the batting smoothed out so it wouldn't bunch up at the serged edge. So, perhaps a shot of basting spray might be in order if you use a soft batting.

Kaye had some folks cutting, some serging and some binding. It was like a factory assembly line.

emsgranny 03-04-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
This one took me about 6 hours...... minus the quilter and binding!

This is great!!! I would take me six hours just to figure out the layout lol. Do you have a tute on this or maybe the pattern thanks cheryl :-D

IBQLTN 03-04-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rascalonious

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
By Kaye woods is supposed to take 6 hours. I have not been able to match that time yet. LOL. Maybe reading the pattern takes that long. I have done several now and they are great for Charity quilts. I even find my self putting 4-5 fabrics together for one when I think "that would be a good 6-hour quilt. Is it me or has anyone managed to finish it in 6 hours?????

I have noticed, the TV sewers such as Nancy Zieman, sew crazy fast. And of course, they have all the room to spread out, tools, etc. to make a project go smoother.

Ah, yes, but how many 'takes' did it take to get it accurate and fast?!

emsgranny 03-04-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
I have a couple of patterns that I've developed on my own that take 6 hours or less - twin size only. That also includes the cutting. I tend to spend time planning the cutting/sewing, etc., beforehand though.

Do you have tute or patterns for these would love to try some - I know it will take me alot long but it sounds great lol cheryl :thumbup: If you could pm me that would be great!!! I never seem to be able to find posts etc back lol

MarieM 03-04-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird

Originally Posted by MarieM
I think Quilt in a day is a Biblical day. Maybe the 6 hour quilt is in dog years (hours) or something.

Marie M.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read your comment. I laughed so hard DH asked me if I was OK. I told him I would read it to him but he wouldn't get it. Ann in TN

Ann,

I know what you mean about DH. I lived in Collierville, TN (outside of Memphis for 12 years) before moving to Montana. I love going back to TN for visits.

Marie M.

quilt crazee 03-04-2011 07:20 AM

THEY HAVE STAFF-we do not! give me some assistants, oh set up lunch for us, too!! LOL!!!