Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/slump-how-can-i-get-back-swing-things-t77522.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 11-20-2010 06:04 AM

I love that Happy Daisies quilt but it doesn't look small or quick!! :D
What am I missing here???? lol

#1piecemaker 11-20-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Yep - I get that way often - I feel like a need a 'block' of time to do something.

So when I'm in the mood you're in - I clean and organize. Then when I have that 'block' of time - I'm all ready to go.
I think that handling fabrics helps!

I thught about that. I went in and took out several bags of fabric and thought, I sure need to do something with this..... Then, I put it all back in the closet. I think I know I need to be cleaning...maybe that's what's wrong. I won't be able to rest until everything gets cleaned..UHGGGG Yuck!

tortoisethreads 11-20-2010 06:05 AM

I was this way a few weeks ago. I have a lot of bed sized quilts waiting for me to quilt. It was a little daunting. I decided to start a small Amish wall hanging to have something "small" to work on.

#1piecemaker 11-20-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I love that Happy Daisies quilt but it doesn't look small or quick!! :D
What am I missing here???? lol

That may be why I put it on the back burner. But, then again, nothing I ever do is small or quick. It takes a while to hand stitch things. And my DH has stacked blocks all over my machine table. Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!!

lindagor 11-20-2010 06:17 AM

I have a propensity for that and even my SIL got me a banner that says "Queen of the Unfinished Projects". I agree with people that suggest a simple quick project because then you can feel that sense of accomplishment and it might encourage you to continue on. I just did an Eleanor Burns Dresden Plate wallhanging and got it completed (including FMQ) within 8 days...quite a record for me!

litacats 11-20-2010 06:20 AM

Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!![/quote]

make him use a seperate room and leave you to yours :lol: :lol: :lol:

janb 11-20-2010 06:22 AM

This happens to all of us...maybe a trip to the fabric store without the plastic or check book...just to look. Or try a different kind of craft, it is time to start making those Christmas cards! It seems there is always something to do or craft. And it is OK to NOT sew! Just to be comfortable with yourself in whatever you are doing or NOT doing.

StitchinJoy 11-20-2010 06:25 AM

It's autumn. A time of reflection. The busy harvest time is through and winter is coming.

We changed the clocks about a month ago and that's an energy sapper for me. The light changes and I get in hibernation mode, and my energy slumps. So I can relate to your feelings.

Now, about that dh of yours. You each need your own space. Quilting is hard enough when we have our own stash, UFOs, WIPs, and current stuff to keep straight. Color coded bins might help keep your stuff separate. Maybe you and he could go on a shopping trip. That might get you outta that slump.

Izaquilter 11-20-2010 06:30 AM

I've done this also...But what I did was literally force myself to get in my sewing room & sew. I was in a slump for about 2 months once & kept thinking "I've got to get in there & sew" So one day I just MADE myself & it came back to me. My intention was to just sew a little bit but once I got in there, all my worries disappeared & I started sewing! I wish you luck, I think we all go thru this

joan_quilts 11-20-2010 06:43 AM

I can totally relate! I sewed and quilted so much this summer, that the desire to even sit down and start a project made me want to run! LOL

Yesterday, I decided I needed some quilt therapy and made two lap quilt tops. Now, I am not sure when I will get them past this stage, but it is a start! LOL

It does come back, I promise. Right now, with the Holidays and all, it is ok to say I need a break.