Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-question-t216601.html)

cherylmae 03-18-2013 07:20 AM

Thank you all so much! I am going snooping, see what I can find.

BellaBoo 03-18-2013 07:40 AM

Folded fabric won't stand on end. The boards make it so easy to stand fabric on a shelf like a book. I can pull one fabric out and not have to move the other fabrics. I use rubber bands on the boards. I have had some fabrics on boards with bands for over five years and no marks from the bands but some say the bands will leave a mark after time. It may be what some bands are made from.

MacThayer 03-19-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5935279)
I just ruler fold. Save my money for fabric

I also ruler fold, then stack my fabrics so the top fold is showing, and put them in a plastic bin. Found I could get more fabric into a bin without the boards! I use a clear plastic bin, plus with all of the fabrics placed on end, I can see everything I have easily. Also have put "like" colors together, and collections together, to make fabric easier to find.

AZ Jane 03-19-2013 06:20 AM

Shipping can be higher than the product or check around. If you live in a larger town, check out local comic book stores so you don't have to pay shipping or look for free shipping. Sometimes the cheapest price isn't.

Colbaltjars62 03-19-2013 06:44 AM

Check out the local comic book shops or Card/gaming shops. The Comic boards are VERY inexpensive and come in 3 different sizes. They are also Certified Acid Free. You can get a 100 board pack for about $10.00. They are way thinner that the plastic boards that Alaskasunshine had a tute for and so take up much less room as well. They also keep you from stretching your fabric tight on them thus keeping it square. And remember as an acid free certified product, you won't have any problems with discoloration. Hope this helps. If you can't find them shoot me a PM and I have a few places close to me that carry them.
:cool:

tessagin 03-19-2013 07:37 AM

Walmart will give the fabric boards to you free if you ask nicely. I've also save the heavy cardboard rollers out of the foil and different wax paper boxes. Walmart also had a heavy cardboard roll they let me have. It was almost 6 ft. long. That was just yesterday. Also DH was getting ready to throw a box for one of his electronic toys. It had a heavy foamboard in it (18"). Confiscated it and saved the landfill! Quilters are the best recyclers!

feffertim 03-19-2013 08:37 AM

I have all my fabric folded on comic boards. They work really well. Love them

vickig626 03-19-2013 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot (Post 5934239)

this is a really good deal. have a question though -- I've been buying the foam core board from the dollar store and cutting it down to size. Are these boards thick enough so that don't bend? I like the idea how sturdy the foam boards are.

orangeroom 03-19-2013 03:30 PM

I'm even cheaper...ahem, I'm frugal. I don't use comic boards. I feel I don't need them. I fold my fabric to fit the height of the shelf it's being placed into. If you have enough, you don't need comic boards or the cardboard from the fabric stores. They take up space that could be used by your fabric! Good luck!

Rose_P 03-19-2013 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5935279)
I just ruler fold. Save my money for fabric

Me, too. It's just easier to use what's on hand, and the result is very effective for my purposes. They stack neatly on shelves or in bins.