Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-question-t216601.html)

DJinSC 03-19-2013 06:55 PM

Cherylmae -- I asked the same question about 6 months ago, no maybe a year. I bought the boards from Amazon but haven't tackled my stash yet. I know it will be beautiful when done, but not looking forward to all that work. Everyone here on this board gave me great tips.

Christine- 03-19-2013 07:48 PM

I saw the same thread a couple hours ago. I started using comic book boards a year ago. They really help make my stash easy to see at a glance.

vickig626 03-20-2013 09:36 AM

I've tried all the different storage ideas over the past few years and think the comic board system is the best for me. I've started doing this as a use a fabric. If there's enough to go back into the yardage stash, I put it on the board. I want to be able to stand it up for easy access. I found (for myself) if I lay it down and I want the fabric on the bottom, I tend to make a mess of that pile. Then it gets worse from there. Bins the same thing. If I place them neatly in the bins, they get out of control quickly as I'm looking for the perfect fabric. This has not been the case yet for my fabric that's been put on the boards. After cutting what I need, I fold it back on and back into its place. So far, so good.

For the pieces too small to get folded, I cut down into my scrap sizes for future use.

vickig626 03-20-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by DJinSC (Post 5940234)
Cherylmae -- I asked the same question about 6 months ago, no maybe a year. I bought the boards from Amazon but haven't tackled my stash yet. I know it will be beautiful when done, but not looking forward to all that work. Everyone here on this board gave me great tips.

I agree with all the work so just put them on the boards as you use the fabric. In a year, you'll see what fabrics you might want to consider getting rid of (or using up) since they're still not on a board. That's my plan anyway.

DJinSC 03-20-2013 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 (Post 5941580)
I agree with all the work so just put them on the boards as you use the fabric. In a year, you'll see what fabrics you might want to consider getting rid of (or using up) since they're still not on a board. That's my plan anyway.

Good idea! Something I just thought of -- after you wrap the fabric around the board, how do you secure it? Pins?

quiltingcandy 03-20-2013 02:44 PM

I used pins to hold the fabric in place but found they weren't necessary. It stays fairly well all going the same direction.

vickig626 03-21-2013 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by DJinSC (Post 5942113)
Good idea! Something I just thought of -- after you wrap the fabric around the board, how do you secure it? Pins?

I do pin. I have some small pins I use (not the usual quilting pins). After pinning, I'll pin the "pin point" into the fabric so I don't poke myself .... if that makes sense.

twinkie 03-22-2013 02:00 AM

I was lucky that my oldest son has collected comics for many years and I started to use comic boards about a year ago. I love how neat the fabric looks on them and they are acid free.

cherylmae 07-19-2013 06:45 AM

Thanks for all the info. I found where someone folds fabric with their ruler and gave that a try and loved the outcome, so will forgo the boards.