Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Smartphone are useful for quilters! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/smartphone-useful-quilters-t264860.html)

amandasgramma 05-05-2015 07:53 AM

Smartphone are useful for quilters!

So, I finally came to the 21st century just a few months ago and am figuring out these dang phones. This may be a new hint or one everyone has already figured out. Bear with me. I figured out I can take a picture of THAT quilt in a magazine or one I created on EQ7 AND a picture of the fabric list and will ALWAYS have it with me! YAY!!!! when I go to the fabric store and see THAT fabric I want, I KNOW how much to buy and KNOW I'll get enough!! :) :) :) :) happy dance, happy dance.........now to get to the store!!!!:thumbup:

Cheshirecatquilter 05-05-2015 07:58 AM

I guess the saying, "Too soon oldt, too late schmardt" doesn't apply to you. Have fun with your newfangled gizmo.

Mariposa 05-05-2015 08:00 AM

Sounds like you're having fun with your new "toy". :)

EasyPeezy 05-05-2015 08:08 AM

I like to take pictures of my blocks before sewing. So much more convenient
with the phone. No downloading necessary...no need to wait for the flash, etc.

Onebyone 05-05-2015 08:15 AM

I pay for internet and cell phone service so I make it work for me. I save enough money in a year using the apps and finding bargains to pay for both. Facebook saves me hundreds of dollars for items I want and some I need.

janRN 05-05-2015 08:18 AM

Don't forget to add some quilting apps--I like Quilt Sandwich or QuiltCalc from Robert Kaufman. They help to figure out yardage needed for blocks, backing, sashing, etc. I also have one called Quilt Shops that locate and give directions to quilt shops, helpful for finding shops in unfamiliar areas. And with the Joann app you don't need to take your coupons with you, they're on your phone.

Tippytoes 05-05-2015 08:28 AM

I use my smart phone all the time to snap pics for reference, make notes and the calculator for yardage and costs! Even when I'm not quilting, I'm still qulting.
Have fun
Mags
X

mckwilter 05-05-2015 08:33 AM

I take pictures of my completed projects and email them to myself. Then I save them in different folders. I never used to take pictures of my work because I am somewhat camera-phobic (if there is such a term). Now, I can snap, look, resnap until I get the one I like, then delete the rest.

tessagin 05-05-2015 08:56 AM

And when you go shopping take a photo of the end of the bolt of your purchase fabric and the selvage edge. Do the same of any fabric acquired elsewhere from estate sales for instance. I use my smartphone a lot. Dh was shopping one day and needed a part but forgot the number. Luckily, he took a photo with the serial and other needed numbers. I use it for my grocery lists. With your email you can check any you receive from the fabric stores and load the coupons to use at the checkout counters. It isn't that hard to install any of the apps. I always go for the freebies.

roguequilter 05-05-2015 09:06 AM

"smart phones"!! great fun. hubs has one & i use it extensively now for quilts at shows, neat ideas in wall paper or sidewalk etchings for fmq quilting or applique ideas.