Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smartphone are useful for quilters!

Smartphone are useful for quilters!

So, I finally came to the 21st century just a few months ago and am figuring out these dang phones. This may be a new hint or one everyone has already figured out. Bear with me. I figured out I can take a picture of THAT quilt in a magazine or one I created on EQ7 AND a picture of the fabric list and will ALWAYS have it with me! YAY!!!! when I go to the fabric store and see THAT fabric I want, I KNOW how much to buy and KNOW I'll get enough!! happy dance, happy dance.........now to get to the store!!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    I guess the saying, "Too soon oldt, too late schmardt" doesn't apply to you. Have fun with your newfangled gizmo.

Sounds like you're having fun with your new "toy".
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I like to take pictures of my blocks before sewing. So much more convenient
    with the phone. No downloading necessary...no need to wait for the flash, etc.

I pay for internet and cell phone service so I make it work for me. I save enough money in a year using the apps and finding bargains to pay for both. Facebook saves me hundreds of dollars for items I want and some I need.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Don't forget to add some quilting apps--I like Quilt Sandwich or QuiltCalc from Robert Kaufman. They help to figure out yardage needed for blocks, backing, sashing, etc. I also have one called Quilt Shops that locate and give directions to quilt shops, helpful for finding shops in unfamiliar areas. And with the Joann app you don't need to take your coupons with you, they're on your phone.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I use my smart phone all the time to snap pics for reference, make notes and the calculator for yardage and costs! Even when I'm not quilting, I'm still qulting.
    Have fun
    Mags
    X

I take pictures of my completed projects and email them to myself. Then I save them in different folders. I never used to take pictures of my work because I am somewhat camera-phobic (if there is such a term). Now, I can snap, look, resnap until I get the one I like, then delete the rest.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    And when you go shopping take a photo of the end of the bolt of your purchase fabric and the selvage edge. Do the same of any fabric acquired elsewhere from estate sales for instance. I use my smartphone a lot. Dh was shopping one day and needed a part but forgot the number. Luckily, he took a photo with the serial and other needed numbers. I use it for my grocery lists. With your email you can check any you receive from the fabric stores and load the coupons to use at the checkout counters. It isn't that hard to install any of the apps. I always go for the freebies.

"smart phones"!! great fun. hubs has one & i use it extensively now for quilts at shows, neat ideas in wall paper or sidewalk etchings for fmq quilting or applique ideas.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

And when you've found all those fabrics in the store but aren't sure of the color value, the black and white picture feature sure is handy! One time I made a triple rail lap size and took a picture of the top. One of the blocks was turned wrong but I could NOT see it just looking at it but it was so blatantly obvious in the picture! Luckily I took the picture before even basting it together. I downloaded the Wal-Mart app which has a built in shopping list I find invaluable. Just tap on the item to check it off as you go. Also lets you know if it is in stock at the store you're going to. It has really come in handy too when I'm at Hancock or Hobby Lobby and need a coupon! Now if we could just get a JoAnn's within 50 miles I'd be a happy camper.....

Blog Entries
    Welcome Dee!!!

Someday, when you have not much going on, google the topic of smart fabrics... You've only just begun.... Enjoy! I enjoy looking at FMQing designs in my photos I take when I am about to start to begin quilting.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I use mine to take pics of the quilting on my longarm. Nothing worse than getting to the bottom of the quilt and forgetting what you quilted on the top border!
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Blog Entries
    great to know. I still have an old fashioned one I got for $5 at Radio shack. if I get a new one, i'll have to relearn it all over again. but...thanks for the tip for when I get in the proper century.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

WOW!!!! So many ideas!!! Gotta go get the apps.......and considering we went 30 miles to a grocery store today and had forgotten the list, I can guarantee you I'll be using it for my grocery list!!

AW yes, the coupons...I've been getting the Joann's coupons... 60% off on Minky the other day!!! YAY!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Glad I'm not the only one who takes photos of my blocks before I start sewing. Always helps to make sure I don't get them mixed up or turned around!

Blog Entries
    I still have a "old-fashioned" flip phone, carry it only in case of an emergency. Just have to remember to keep it charged.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I use my smartphone all the time and on rare occasions I even make or receive a phone call with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Esmerelde View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who takes photos of my blocks before I start sewing. Always helps to make sure I don't get them mixed up or turned around!
    That was me until last Xmas. I got a Moto G Ext through Consumer Cellular. My monthly bill is less than I paid TMobile. It is now $18.43 and I can now take pictures and e-mail them to home computer. I wanted to be able to take pictures of an accident, something I wanted to buy, etc. I can also see my Verizon e-mail, which is a good back up.

Great idea. I also downloaded several quilt apps

Citruscountyquilter you made me laugh and feel good---I think I've only rec'd about 3 calls on my phone and maybe made 3. I thought I was the only one LOL!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    WOW!!!! So many ideas!!! Gotta go get the apps.......and considering we went 30 miles to a grocery store today and had forgotten the list, I can guarantee you I'll be using it for my grocery list!!

AW yes, the coupons...I've been getting the Joann's coupons... 60% off on Minky the other day!!! YAY!
    I use an app called Out of Milk..lets me save lists for different places I shop..love it.
    Also like Gas Buddy to find the cheapest (ha, like any are cheap) gas near me when I am out and about.

Welcome to the world of smartphones! Some great uses have already been mentioned here. I keep a picture inventory of my fabrics on my smartphone. I scan each fabric purchased after I bring it home and transfer the image to a folder on my computer (and on my phone) called "Fabric". In my Fabric folder, I have subfolders for regular quilting cotton and for flannel so I can tell the difference between them. I have a clear ruler on the bed of my scanner so I can also judge the size and scale of motifs when I look at the images. (You could also just take pictures if you don't want to go to the trouble of scanning.) It's amazingly helpful to be able to flip through images of my stash when I'm at the store trying to figure out if I have something that "goes" with my contemplated purchase. And more than once it's kept me from buying more of something I like but had forgotten I already have...

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    One more thought...do you have a backup of your phone? Pretty good idea if you are storing so much good stuff on it. DoxieMom mentioned transferring to her computer...good idea...I use iCloud with my iPhone...saved me, saved me, saved me when I thought my phone wanted to go swimming with me...it really did not want to....

Blog Entries
    Isn't it great when you figure something like that out? Wonderful!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast