Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for Shabby Chic quilt

Need suggestions for Shabby Chic quilt

I am looking for a pattern or suggestion for a quilt pattern for my GD, the last to get her quilt. She wants pastel colors and her decor style is Shabby Chic. She will display this quilt on the bed in her guest room. I am thinking rag quilt or chanille, what would suggest?

To me a scrappy grandmother's flower garden is the ultimate shabby chic. Especially done with 30's reproduction fabrics. Just my taste.

Blog Entries
    To me, a Shabby Chic is more about the colors & fabric vs. a textured rag or chenille quilt. I see a large floral print and coordinating fabric in subdued or faded colors made into a pieced quilt with a traditional block... but that's just me!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Last edited by yngldy; 05-06-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: wrong address

I made two shabby chic quilts for my daughters. they were a large twin size and had a big lemoyne star as center surrounded by 8 in. log cabin blocks. The colors were light blue, rose and creme. I found when I researched patterns it was more about the color scheme then the patterns. Often squares or rectangles are used to display the large florals, typically roses, on this type of fabrics. Robyn Pandolph and Moda have many fabrics that might lend themselves to Shabby chic.

This will maybe give you some ideas on what fabric to use and what pattern.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Shab..._AUoAg&dpr=1.1
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-06-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    love that quilt. it has the flowers that look shabby chic, i'd go with that one in pastels. please show us what you decide to make.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Generally, shabby chic pastels are washed out, pale, older-looking fabrics...as if they were years on grandma's sun porch for napping in the spring.
    I'll share two I made, the first much easier than the second, but perhaps they'll give you an idea. The colors in the photos are *much* more intense than they actually are.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

If you do an advanced search here using the title "Cottage Romance", you might find the inspiration you are looking for. I've gathered large floral prints in very muted pastels for just this quilt but haven't started it yet. Tonya Whelan and Robyn Pandolph have designed great fabrics that might work for a project like this.

I think it basically is colors and fabrics. I made this quilt top with softer colors wanting to achieve the Shabby Chic look for a female foster kid. Check out this fabric store: https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconbit View Post
    I am looking for a pattern or suggestion for a quilt pattern for my GD, the last to get her quilt. She wants pastel colors and her decor style is Shabby Chic. She will display this quilt on the bed in her guest room. I am thinking rag quilt or chanille, what would suggest?
    I had the same request a couple years ago, a pastel shabby chic baby quilt. When I heard "shabby chic", the first thing that came to mind is the line of bedding that Target carries. Not having any fabric that looked similar, I came up with my own idea. I dug through my scrap bins for pastels, cut them into strips and squares and puzzle pieced 12" blocks so no two are alike. I just happened to find a Shabby Chic crib sheet from Target at Goodwill and cut it up for the sashing and back of the quilt. Here's how it turned out:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/caris_...57623878838044
    The pic is brighter than the actual quilt, it really is pastel fabrics.

Cari

Blog Entries

I can't remember what this one is called

but I searched under shabby rose quilt pattern and found a picture. For some reason I just love the way this looks
    Cherylsea

I made a Cottage Romance quilt....it is next in line to be quilted....here is the post that includes pattern info...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t250406.html

I'd like to suggest Tanya Whelan fabrics. She has a line with pink roses, greens and blues, that is beautiful.

To me, these are Shabby Chic

Name:  061 - 2015.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  173.3 KB

and

Name:  81 - 2015.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  166.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    To me, a Shabby Chic is more about the colors & fabric vs. a textured rag or chenille quilt. I see a large floral print and coordinating fabric in subdued or faded colors made into a pieced quilt with a traditional block... but that's just me!
    I agree, my whole house is Shabby Chic, pink or mauve, sage green and cream, only not brite!!

Quote Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
    I made a Cottage Romance quilt....it is next in line to be quilted....here is the post that includes pattern info...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t250406.html
    Jill, this is exactly what I picture when I think of shabby chic. Beautiful!

Here's a quilt I finished a few months ago and I would call it shabby chic. I used Moda's Paris Fleamarket line.
    Jane

There is even an online quilt shop exclusively for shabby chic fabrics!

Here is her site:

https://www.shabbyfabrics.com
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
    but I searched under shabby rose quilt pattern and found a picture. For some reason I just love the way this looks
    That's the Heather French Rose and it's beautiful!
    Jane

Here is pic of a "French Rose" bedrunner that I saved in my "Ideas" file. To me, it says "Shabby Chic".
    Name:  French Rose Bed Runner.jpe
Views: 261
Size:  52.0 KB Name:  French Rose Bed Runner Close up.jpe
Views: 274
Size:  51.7 KB
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman in Red Horse Squadron"
    "Proud Grandparent of an American Air Force SERE"

Blog Entries
    Connecting Threads has a lovely collection of 30's prints right now. They have some patterns that look great with those fabrics. Good thing I have a stash that's way too much to ever use!
    Good luck finding just the right thing.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

My GD asked for the same thing. I made her the "French Roses" quilt by Heather French. It is raw edge applique and very easy. When it's washed the edge will fray, making it so soft looking. I used Paris Flea Market fabric by Three Sisters for Moda. I liked the fabric so much that I made a second top without using the burnt orange fabric and made it very simple. Now I've got to make backings and have them quilted. Best wishes.

I would consider working with precuts. The charms packs or jelly rolls are all from the same fabric line and would give you that coordinated look.

Have her show you a picture of something she has in mind, or show her some quilt designs. Everyone's idea is different.

Take a look at www.ladylikedesigns.com for some great patterns and inspiration. The designer is one of my favorites and when you see her patterns you will understand why. You can also find her on Craftsy where you can see all of her patterns. She is offering a free pattern called "My Daughter's Garden." It is exactly what you describe you are looking for.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast