Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shabby Chic quilt

Shabby Chic quilt

I have some fabrics I consider Shabby Chic. I need a pattern design that works with the fabrics. The only idea I can come up with is the D9P. I have made the D9P before, with charms, and like it but want to consider other patterns. Also, if I do go with the D9P what would be a good block size to keep the Shabby Chic look?

Thanks, Linda

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have Shabby Chic also. I haven't found a design yet either. I'm keeping my eye on this thread for advice. Don't you love the soft colors? Seems romantic to me. And a bit old fashioned.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I love the soft colors of Shabby Chic. With the warm, sunny days forecast for next week, I want to make a new quilt for my bed. If I don't get any suggestions that will work with the fabric I have, I probably will just make the D9P. Have you made that pattern? What size blocks do you think will keep the Shabby Chic look?

Blog Entries
    I did a google search and lots of possibilities came up. I like the raw edge applique or a big block pattern that shows off the beautiful fabrics.

There is a pattern in Quilt In A Days book Quilts Through The Seasons called Summer Porch Quilt.
    I made this quilt with shabby chic fabrics and it is one of my favorites.
    It is also easy to make.
    It is just a triangle with a strip then another triangle then sashing around the blocks.
    Another pattern in the same book would be good also, called Pink Lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    There is a pattern in Quilt In A Days book Quilts Through The Seasons called Summer Porch Quilt.
    It is also easy to make.
    It is just a triangle with a strip then another triangle then sashing around the blocks.
    Thank You for the suggestions! The Summer Porch pattern would be perfect for some Moda Turnovers I have.

My shabby chic quilt is Shoo Fly blocks set on point with a triple sashing and cornerstones. The sashing is a pink on pink, pink gingham and then a white. It makes it look like each block is framed with a different color sashing. It's not quilted yet and isn't on my bed yet because I have a long haired black cat. I thought I had a picture of it but I can't find it.

I found pictures of the small shabby chic quilt I made. It's star blocks set with a triple sashing. You can use any pattern you like for shabby chic. The main thing is to use softer colors and softer contrast.

Name:  DSCN1875 md.jpg
Views: 6026
Size:  86.6 KB

I was just browsing through some mags in my stash & saw a pattern for a queen size quilt titled "Romance" by Kathy Bauer in the Spring 2011 McCall's Quilting America Quilts for the home. It is done in soft florals that sounds like it would be a good outlet for your Shabby Chic fabs. I don't know if it's viewable thru the web site, but you could try it.

Thank You Scissor Queen, that is very pretty. Love It!

Quote Originally Posted by scisyb220 View Post
    I was just browsing through some mags in my stash & saw a pattern for a queen size quilt titled "Romance" by Kathy Bauer in the Spring 2011 McCall's Quilting America Quilts for the home. It is done in soft florals that sounds like it would be a good outlet for your Shabby Chic fabs. I don't know if it's viewable thru the web site, but you could try it.
    I just went through my magazine stash and didn't find the Spring 2011 McCall's. I do have the Jan/Feb 2010 edition and found a really nice quilt on page 29 that is very similar to Scissor Queen's.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will see if I can find it on the McCall's site.

Yellow Brick Road is a good choice for shappy chic! But many of the tradional quilt patterns look lovely in shabby chic! Log Cabin looks good in no matter what the colors or style fabrics... and so many layout options.

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...36&Parent_Ids=

Here is a link to a log cabin I made that has a feeling of shabby chic, or as the recpient named it English country garden.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t133140.html
    Last edited by Lori S; 03-24-2012 at 07:23 AM.

LVaughan ... Without seeing yours, it's hard to know what might work, as patterns can be so variable dependant on the fabrics.

Scissors ... lovely quilt!!

Here's my Shabby Chic ....
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t141548.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I think Miss Rosie's Quilt Collections book is considered Shabby Chic. You might see if you or a friend has that book. The quilts are very soft colored.

Im doing Sylvias bridal Sampler in Shabby Chic prints and colors. It will take me awhile to finish tho, as there are 140 blocks. But I think it will be very pretty.

I just got the pattern for Fat Friday quilt for another project - but it would look great with shabby chic fabric.

I found a pic of the start of my queen size Shabby Chic quilt. It's just the corner but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Name:  397.JPG
Views: 5213
Size:  62.8 KB

Scissor Queen that is beautiful. I love the shabby chic look of things; but never thought of finding fabrics for a quilt. I guess this is a "DUH" moment. Thanks for sharing ideas. Teresa

here is my shabby chic version. it's scrappy though.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ze-t70698.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I found a pic of the start of my queen size Shabby Chic quilt. It's just the corner but it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

Name:  397.JPG
Views: 5213
Size:  62.8 KB

This one is nice too ... though I reeeeeeeally like the first one!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

ScissorQueen: Your quilt is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Consider "In The Beginning" books for ideas, Carrie L. Nelson has great patterns that could work, also check out Moda Fabrics project sight or Shabby Fabrics website for patterns/ideas. Love that look and would enjoy hearing what you decide to do with your fabrics. Enjoy.

Question shabby chic fabrics

What are shabby chic fabrics, and where do I find patterns using them on the internet? Or do I have to buy the book in a quilt store?

Flo

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    It is also easy to make.

This is a free pattern I found on about.com that would work with your shabby chic fabric. I'm going to make it because I think it's so pretty. http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquil...l_ragquilt.htm. Hope you like it. :-)

Blog Entries
    How about a Turning Twenty pattern? The first book is a bit more simple with larger cut pieces. Also a friend of mine did a Turning Twenty and sewed large ric-rac on some of the blocks; it really made a cute quilt.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast