Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Smartphone are useful for quilters! >

Smartphone are useful for quilters!

Smartphone are useful for quilters!

Old 05-06-2015, 04:21 AM

Citruscountyquilter you made me laugh and feel good---I think I've only rec'd about 3 calls on my phone and maybe made 3. I thought I was the only one LOL!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
WOW!!!! So many ideas!!! Gotta go get the apps.......and considering we went 30 miles to a grocery store today and had forgotten the list, I can guarantee you I'll be using it for my grocery list!!

AW yes, the coupons...I've been getting the Joann's coupons... 60% off on Minky the other day!!! YAY!
I use an app called Out of Milk..lets me save lists for different places I shop..love it.
Also like Gas Buddy to find the cheapest (ha, like any are cheap) gas near me when I am out and about.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 AM

Welcome to the world of smartphones! Some great uses have already been mentioned here. I keep a picture inventory of my fabrics on my smartphone. I scan each fabric purchased after I bring it home and transfer the image to a folder on my computer (and on my phone) called "Fabric". In my Fabric folder, I have subfolders for regular quilting cotton and for flannel so I can tell the difference between them. I have a clear ruler on the bed of my scanner so I can also judge the size and scale of motifs when I look at the images. (You could also just take pictures if you don't want to go to the trouble of scanning.) It's amazingly helpful to be able to flip through images of my stash when I'm at the store trying to figure out if I have something that "goes" with my contemplated purchase. And more than once it's kept me from buying more of something I like but had forgotten I already have...
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

One more thought...do you have a backup of your phone? Pretty good idea if you are storing so much good stuff on it. DoxieMom mentioned transferring to her computer...good idea...I use iCloud with my iPhone...saved me, saved me, saved me when I thought my phone wanted to go swimming with me...it really did not want to....
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Isn't it great when you figure something like that out? Wonderful!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:17 PM

I "think" there is a button to take pictures on my flip phone, but I don't use it.
Just thought I would give you the link to the board member who used her phone to take a photo in a quilt store
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t263405.html
Just in case.............
Old 05-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

And I say: "Galaxy, take me to the nearest Quilt Shop" and she takes me there.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:53 AM

What about taking a pic of your quilt and test different boarder fabric. I lay the quilt our with the board fabric that I think I would like and look at the pic away the quilt. If I like it on it goes, if not I keep trying other fabrics. That really helps with getting what look I really want.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:03 AM

If you are a WalMart shopper for anything, download the basic app and it has "Savings Catcher". All you have to do is scan the very bottom of your receipt with your phone and the app searches the area stores for better deals on the items you've purchased. If it finds a better price, it will refund it to you! I have already cashed in over $50! No more searching through the ads, no more remembering to take them with you. My app says it searches 27 area stores.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:41 AM

This old fossil seems unable to learn how to use the "newfangled" phone stuff! My kids have given up on my learning
Facebook or my I-pad, etc.