Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking pictures in quilt stores >

taking pictures in quilt stores

taking pictures in quilt stores

Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 AM

Default taking pictures in quilt stores

I was in a quilt store this past weekend and I found this fabric that I just loved. It was gorgeous but I had no idea what I'd use it in or how much I'd need even if I knew what I'd do with it. Instead I took out my iphone and took a photo of the end of the bolt and a shot of the fabric. One of the ladies who worked at the shop came and asked me what I was doing. I said that I thought the fabric was very pretty I was inspired by it. I wanted to note the fabric and manufacture info so I wouldn't forget it when I got an idea of how I might use it. She then replied "Oh, so you can go home and buy it online?" I replied, that no, that wasn't my plan but I couldn't exactly buy fabric until I knew how I'd use it and how much to buy. She walked away. At the time I was sort of taken aback and my husband and I left very shortly after (and after spending $50+ of fabric that we did know what to do with). I don't typically buy fabric online and I definitely prefer to buy local. I want to see my LQS stay in business!!!! Plus, I like to see and feel the fabric, the color, the scale, everything. My question to all of you is this? "Is it OK to shop the fabric and even take photos in a quilt store?" I do it in lots of other stores (clothing, Target, Best Buy, etc) and see people doing it around me. But this woman made me feel like I was doing something akin to stealing secrets (and also made me NOT want to go back to her store). I could really use all your advice here!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-31-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: remove some negativity
Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM

Please don't take it personally, I'm sure you had good, honest intentions. The sad fact is that "showrooming" has become so common and the little mom-and-pop brick-and-mortar stores are having a really tough time competing with online retailers. I don't blame her for being upset, although she could have treated you nicer and more professionally.

Score some points with her - figure out what to do with the fabric and go back and buy it from her. Smile at her sweetly and tell her that you really DO want to support your LQS. You'll win over a local businesswoman.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

As Peckesh said this has become a big problem for brick and mortar shops. I have even heard (though not witnessed it myself) of quilt shops blocking out all the bolt information to make it more difficult.

Quite honestly, if I see a fabric I love I buy several yards right then and there (usually 3 or 4). If I love it, I will surely find a project for it. Too often I have seen fabric I loved, did not buy it then and there, went back to get it and it was all gone.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I use to always ask before I took a picture in a LQS. Yes, it is SO hard when you see something you like but not sure what to make with it or how much to buy. LQS are having a hard time making ends met with so many stores online selling at a lesser price.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
As Peckesh said this has become a big problem for brick and mortar shops. I have even heard (though not witnessed it myself) of quilt shops blocking out all the bolt information to make it more difficult.

Quite honestly, if I see a fabric I love I buy several yards right then and there (usually 3 or 4). If I love it, I will surely find a project for it. Too often I have seen fabric I loved, did not buy it then and there, went back to get it and it was all gone.
Great idea to buy 3 to 4 yards of fabric just in case you find some project to use it in. However, not everyone can afford to spend $30 to $40 dollars because they may, at some point, find a reason for using the material they've purchased.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I keep a little notebook in my purse for information I want to save. It's not as good as a photo but I have never had anybody say anything. For all they know you could be figuring out your yardage. I have seen someone take a photo of a store sample quilt that the staff didn't look pleased about but they didn't say anything. I am sure many people do get the information and buy on line but in this technology age, I don't see how being nasty is going to improve their bottom line.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 AM

I always ask first..explain why I want to take a picture. I understand her asking but a customer should never be treated rudely! I would give them another chance, maybe she was having a rough day!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM

Keepsake Quilting has always blocked out all the end of bolt info and, with one or two exceptions, they never refer to fabric by manufacturer or line name in the store, on the phone or online.

If you had asked and explained before you took the picture, you probably would have gotten a better reception. And if she had said no to your request, you could always just write the info on a slip of paper and looked it up online for a photo.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:45 AM

Sometimes people send the wrong signals when using their phones (either as phones or as cameras) in stores. If you prefer to shop locally and have intentions of supporting the business, please just put your phone away for the brief time that you are there. It sends a signal that you do like to base your decisions on feel and color and scale. Notice how helpful a clerk can be when you are gazing adoringly at a fabric with no electronic device in hand! Very helpful! I am a quiet shopper with a very good memory. I won't take a picture of a piece of fabric or a bolt end in the store, but I may scribble a note to myself on a scrap of paper after I have left the store.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM

This reminds me of recent trip I made to a Granite showroom to find Granite for a new kitchen countertop. I was treated so rudely when I entered, that I went elsewhere. I was not permitted to see the slabs of Granite until I gave them my project dimensions. Then, I was not allowed to take a picture of the piece I selected so that I could remember what it looked like. I don't think I can buy Granite on line and there are only a couple places to look in my area. I would not think that I would find the same slab at another showroom. And for a $6,000.00 job, I cannot take a picture of what they want me to put a 50% deposit down.