Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A Sneak Peek at my first Quilt, an illustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sneak-peek-my-first-quilt-illustration-t151512.html)

clem55 09-09-2011 05:28 AM

very pretty! I would probably use white sashing if I were making it, but only because I love the white in quilts. The pink looks fine. But why do you need to fussy cut the florals? Something like this makes me think of looking through a window, or trellis, and in that case, the flowers wouldm't be the same. Just wondering,LOL

SandySews 09-09-2011 05:31 AM

Very nice...

QuiltnNan 09-09-2011 05:58 AM

i like it fine just as it is. post pics as you go along.

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 06:01 AM

Thanks Deborah12687 and Greenheron - I'll try to do a good job and post images of the finished project. Cheers

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 06:03 AM

Thank you to all you lovely ladies (don't think there were any men responders)

I'll post of pic or two as I go, but make a lovely image of the finished product.

Something to hang on my or somebodies wall.

quiltmouse 09-09-2011 06:08 AM

Hi Mal! LOL @ no men's comments. There ought to be a "mens room" here so you can all stay connected. hee!

I love your rendition! Happy Quilting! (I'm a huge floral fan, but I'm forcing myself to break free.)

What's your story? You are in a guild & hereon the QB, before you have set rotary to fabric/needle to fabric? What grabbed your attention about quilting? (Like I could answer that question, myself? ... headsmack!)

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
very pretty! I would probably use white sashing if I were making it, but only because I love the white in quilts. The pink looks fine. But why do you need to fussy cut the florals? Something like this makes me think of looking through a window, or trellis, and in that case, the flowers wouldm't be the same. Just wondering,LOL

Thanks for your feedback Carol - all of the floral comes from one large fussy cut - so the illusion of looking through a window is not interrupted by non aligned segments of the one view. Do you get that? (never know whether my words make sense - just ask my ex - haha)

malfromcessnock 09-09-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
Hi Mal! LOL @ no men's comments. There ought to be a "mens room" here so you can all stay connected. hee!

I love your rendition! Happy Quilting! (I'm a huge floral fan, but I'm forcing myself to break free.)

What's your story? You are in a guild & hereon the QB, before you have set rotary to fabric/needle to fabric? What grabbed your attention about quilting? (Like I could answer that question, myself? ... headsmack!)

Hey quiltmouse - glad there isn't a men's only room here - I may get very lonely and that's one of the reasons I've taken to this craft.

I raised my four children alone and now they have all moved on. I used to sew their school uniforms and formal dresses etc and gave my Janome to my eldest a few years back when she moved out. She's now 27.

I've always been crafty and have realised the artform that lies behind the art of quilting. Some of the projects I have seen are truly amazing.

So I've set myself a challenge to occupy my time - I live alone and get pretty bored from time to time. My interests include photography and computing, but see no reason why I can't add quilting to that repertoire!

I've joined a group of ladies in Cessnock who meet fortnightly and am enjoying my experience. Albiet the only man (they don't forget my name, but I'm having a problem remembering their's, there are 50 members!

Over the last month or so I've bought a new Janome 6600p and fully equiped a sewing room and have watched everyone of Eleanor Burn's videos she has in her theatre. She is truly amazing.

This quilt was inspired by one of her standards, the summer porch - developed with my own twist.

Let's become "friends" on this forum? Oh, I just realized you are my only friend so far on this forum. Cheers, for now.

blueangel 09-09-2011 07:17 AM

It wiill be beautiful.

Aurora 09-09-2011 07:35 AM

This was my first quilt as well. I joined the guild just as they were getting ready to start this project. Certainly forced me to jump in with both feet and no knowledge. The upside was they were very supportive and generous. It is certainly doable and not really that difficult, especially if you are determined.