Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So Excited and Soooo Nervous (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-excited-soooo-nervous-t152954.html)

Krystyna 09-14-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by SUZAG
That is a beautiful quilt! Have fun and relax! People are there to learn; not to pick you apart! I used to do the same thing because of my weight...I would make myself sick and usually end up not going. I realize now (in my old age)how stupid that was of me and I missed out on a lot!

Well, from what I can tell, the instructor is "fluffy" so that won't stop me!

Krystyna 09-14-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
A quilting class is not a competition. There are those who think it is but the majority of individuals are all the same as you, they want to learn. I would sit in front so that I could both see and hear. I have taken several classes and felt like a dummy when I went in but what I learned was so priceless. I took a class on how to miter corners and my bindings are so great looking when I complete a quilt. You are there to learn, you have paid good money for this class so get a good return from it.

You're right, Diane. And that's just what I'll do! :thumbup:

quilter1430 09-14-2011 03:20 PM

If you don't know what you're doing, at least you know you're not bringing in any bad habits and are learning fresh. I don't think anyone is going to be paying attention to what you're wearing or what kind of machine you're bringing. And if they are, that's too sad for them. You're there to have fun and learn for YOURSELF! Have a blast!

Tweety2911 09-14-2011 03:20 PM

You will do great! Go and have fun and learn. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

MisDixie 09-14-2011 03:30 PM

Krystyna, you go and enjoy. Learn lots and remember when we learn we have the blessing of being able to pass on what we have learned! One of my first classes was on the NYB, Love it and passed on what I learned to my sister. I had the means...she needed the way. Sister earns her living by hand quilting for others and selling her quilts. She's still delighted that she sold that first paper peiced quilt about 10 years ago.

MadQuilter 09-14-2011 03:43 PM

Wear something comfortable.
Expect to learn something new and allow this to be a trial piece NOT a masterpiece.
Take the machine that can take the travel in the car, doesn't mind being jossled around a bit and isn't too heavy.
As for taking your stuff. Big Ziplock baggies work fine in a pinch. Even a grocery bag with handles will work. (Have used both)

Enjoy!

OneMoreQuilt 09-14-2011 03:47 PM

You will love it!!! Bring Plane Jane, sit in front, learn all you can and most importantly.....have fun! Oh, and bring your stuff in anything except a grocery bag!

Krystyna 09-14-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by MisDixie
Krystyna, you go and enjoy. Learn lots and remember when we learn we have the blessing of being able to pass on what we have learned! One of my first classes was on the NYB, Love it and passed on what I learned to my sister. I had the means...she needed the way. Sister earns her living by hand quilting for others and selling her quilts. She's still delighted that she sold that first paper peiced quilt about 10 years ago.

How wonderful!

Glassquilt 09-14-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Yikes! What should I wear? I don't have anything quilty looking!

Something that looks good with threads. :)

kiffie2413 09-14-2011 05:14 PM

First off, try and relax...I went to my 1st quilt class, and was very nervous...ended up being a group I have joined, and we are all like sisters...be yourself, and for me humor is a great tool...I have to also say, everyone has a 1st time for a class, eh?..
Have fun! And, can't wait to see your quilt as it progresses!!
K