Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So Frustrated!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-frustrated-t201459.html)

CoventryUK 09-26-2012 08:25 AM

They are called Little Genie magic bobbin washers!! Designed by Sharon Schamber. Check out Leah Days site/shop or most Local Quilt Shops should stock them!! This is in reply to NewbieToQuilting!!

MadQuilter 09-26-2012 08:50 AM

I've had that happen with one of my Pfaffs where the top thread would jump out of the uptake lever.

Michellesews 09-26-2012 09:03 AM

I have had many Pfaffs...in fact I think I should hold stock. Now, my 1473 from the dark ages, but which I still love....when you put the thread in the bobbin, it should go counter clockwise. On my newest Pfaff, the Creative Sensation...it is the opposite. I had the same problem you describe when I tried to load the 1473 with the bobbin going clockwise. I sure hope this helps, having a new machine is such a thrill and having problems with that same machine is just the PITTS.

pocoellie 09-26-2012 09:27 AM

What kind of store did you buy it from? WalMart(or similar) or an actual sewing machine shop? If from a sewing machine shop, you should have gotten some lessons on "learning" about your machine and learning what the machine can do. I would take it to them and tell them you need some lessons on the machine. If from a non sewing machine shop, I would probably take it back and get my money back, then I would go to a sewing machine shop and see what they had, but they should offer you classes on your machine.

JoanneS 09-26-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 5539856)
Are you threading with the needle up? Also try grabbing both bobbin and top threads when starting a seam.
Regardless of design - I've had the top thread pop out of the take up lever. In machine embroidery, the problem is often the opposite side. If you have a rat's nest underneath, the problem is usually on the top somewhere.

With the bobbin - check to make sure it's securely in there. The new Ambition is drop-in bobbin isn't it? Those who use drop-in bobbins might have more suggestions.
I've got vertical bobbins and they don't always catch on the spindle and pop out. There used to be a good click on the older Pfaffs, not so now.

The older Pfaffs had lousy thread cutters. A lot of times they will NOT pick up the bobbin thread correctly or at all. However, with a drop-in bobbin the thread cutter should have improved.

I have Pfaff's Creative Sensation - a top-loading bobbin. I haven't kept track of how many times I've had trouble with mare's nests on the bottom. I usually start over with BOTH needle and bobbin. Rethread needle, put bobbin in again. Never thought to rewind the bobbin - but I'll do that the next time I have a problem. This machine is SUPPOSED to have a new magical automatic tension-setter. I'm not convinced. Sadly, I bought it in Tucson, and I'm now in CT where the nearest Pfaff dealer is 45 minutes away. I thought I had all the tension problems fixed before my machine and I returned to CT in April, but it hasn't worked out that way.

mimiknoxtaylor 09-26-2012 03:25 PM

when I got a new fancy machine I had that happen and it wound up that the bobbins for my new machine were just enough different from my other machine (same brand) and it only wanted to have its special toys to play with-lol.

NewbieToQuilting 09-26-2012 05:58 PM

I got it fixed, I think...It was a needle issue. First I thought it was in all the way since it was tight, but it wasnt. Then, the material I was usinng to test was too thick (thus the skipping issues). I changed the needle to a jeans needle and what do ya know, problem solved!! Thanks for all your help!!

caspharm 09-26-2012 06:04 PM

Didn't the dealer offer any lessons on how to use the machine?

Maggieloe 09-26-2012 09:54 PM

Is the thread coming off the take up lever?

NewbieToQuilting 09-27-2012 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm (Post 5543583)
Didn't the dealer offer any lessons on how to use the machine?

No, the dealer only offered class on how to use it after I called saying I couldn't get it to work. I got it right at closing time & I think they were ready to go home. :/ I got it working i think, but I think I'll still go down to make sure everything is ok on it.