Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So i'm thinking lol how bout a lonestar quilt? what is to stop me? :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-im-thinking-lol-how-bout-lonestar-quilt-what-stop-me-t20211.html)

marjeet 05-20-2009 08:05 AM

I plan on doing the cheater type -- HSTs - I've got a pattern somewhere....I don't like dealing with diagonal anythings....

Shemjo 05-20-2009 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of the Broken Star I did last summer that seemed to keep growing! It really got to be a BIG quilt, and we hand quilted it at church. I was really glad when it was done. But I am ready to try another one sometime in the furture. :?

marjeet 05-20-2009 11:04 AM

That IS gorgeous!

mytwopals 05-20-2009 12:16 PM

Here's a photo of only the second quilt I ever made. And it's the first one I cut myself. (My first quilt was a kit.) I used the strip method and it went together very easily. It's still not finished being quilted. I'll get back to that someday soon. After I finish my niece's graduation quilt.

mytwopals 05-20-2009 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Here's a photo of only the second quilt I ever made. And it's the first one I cut myself. (My first quilt was a kit.) I used the strip method and it went together very easily. It's still not finished being quilted. I'll get back to that someday soon. After I finish my niece's graduation quilt.

BlueChicken 05-20-2009 12:21 PM

Wow!

I gotta stop looking at these pictures, I'm getting inspired to try one! I need to get some things finished first. lol

winky 05-20-2009 02:52 PM

I too have always wanted to make a Lone Star Quilt, but always feared the pieceing process. Last year the local quilt shop offered a different way to make this quilt using half-square triangles. My center (star) is complete and now I need to finish making the migrating geese and border blocks. It is a huge quilt, but I feel like I have accomplished something. Good Luck to you in your endeavor :) Please keep posting how you are doing with it.

winky 05-20-2009 02:56 PM

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful! My favorite color is blue, so this really makes me drool :wink: Was this done by strip piecing or another method?

Barb M 05-20-2009 03:39 PM

Oh thanks so much everyone for showing your lonestars! They're gorgeous! I love how the dif colour combinations make such different looks in the lonestar, so beautiful guys! Oh and mytwopals, love how you did a burgandy trim around yours :)

Yes, i'm strip piecing it, uhm, made my own directions lol. Thats how i got a big booboo. I did 2 1/2" strips, but when i sliced the sewn strips, i sliced them too small, so started over and used 1 1/2" strips, and it's working perfectly, i'm really loving doing it, especially that i figured it out myself :)

Oh, as for those set-in backgrounds, nah, you guys know me, easy is the word. Why did anyone invent lonestars to have fitted corners, that person should have been outlawed by the quilting policxe!!!! lol lol I will make my corners with a simple diagonal seam in them, easy peasy, right? hope so lol, my lonestar, my way :)

But problem is, i cant just stop at one, im enjoying it so much, that im making 4 more to go with it, so i might do a type of broken star like yours shemjo, only mine will be dif i think. Awesome pictures everyone :) :) :) Maybe i will take pictures tonight, maybe lol :)

jojo47 05-20-2009 09:35 PM

Quilterpup, I have a Lone Star kit using the Quiltsmart method...hopefully I'll finish the quilt this summer. I had seen the method in a demo...actually, I took part IN the demo...and liked it. Agreed...very easy!

jojo