Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So i'm thinking lol how bout a lonestar quilt? what is to stop me? :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-im-thinking-lol-how-bout-lonestar-quilt-what-stop-me-t20211.html)

himom122 05-20-2009 03:36 AM

The Lone Star is not hard to my supprise Just have to watch because everything is bisa cut. Work slow and watch out you will have it done in no time and love it.

sallybramald 05-20-2009 03:46 AM

I did my first one quite early on in my quilting life. The starch idea is a good one, the only thing I found a little difficult was the insert the background (inset corners) not impossible but I seem to remember one or two of them took a couple of attempts to get it sitting flat.
I think there is a 'quilt in a day' booklet I used. Accuracy in piecing and cutting is essential other wise it either dips in the middle or is a big frill round the outside (that's why you see so many unfinished tops on Ebay)

sandpat 05-20-2009 05:24 AM

Oh barb...that is beautiful!!!! My hat is off to you!

Riley 05-20-2009 05:46 AM

Your colors are lovely!

I've made 2 Lonestars & while I don't think they are all that hard to make, it is important that you press carefully to avoid stretching those bias edges.

The last one was a queen sized. I made the mistake of letting our granddaughter pick out her colors & BOY! I won't make that mistake again! She chose ayello that is all you can see, it screams at you! SIGH
The colors are the total pits!! BUT, she loves it so that is what matters!

The one positive side is that she chose the quilting design & that turned out quite nicely! :mrgreen:

Riley

sallybramald 05-20-2009 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was my first 'proper' quilt made in about 1992. I have got a photo of the whole quilt as it was photographed and printed out at 12" square and this is all I can fit under the scanner

My first Serious quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3437[/ATTACH]

mocha827 05-20-2009 06:14 AM

I actually took a two day workshop form Jan Krentz. Her book Lone Star Quilts and Beyond was a great resource and made the assembly painless. I have some great blocks but alas it is another UFO. There were some really good tips and processes int he book and I highly recommend it to you. Happy Quilting!

Sheree from Chicago 05-20-2009 06:22 AM

I say go for it! My very first quilt was Karen Stone's New York Beauty (two thousand plus pieces).
I have a paper pieced lone star pattern from Karen Stone to do. For me, the issue is all the time I will be spending agonizing over coordinating the fabrics/color placement.
Have fun with your new challenge, Sheree

Quilterpup 05-20-2009 06:30 AM

My guild just had a class in making a Lone Star using "Quiltsmart" I had never made a Lonestar quilt but with this method it was very easy. You just sew on the lines.

adrianlee 05-20-2009 06:40 AM

I just finished my 2nd Lone Star using the strip method. I have Eleanor Burns' book on making these. You need a good cutting mat with 45 degree line on it, a good cutting ruler and of course new blade in your cutter. When sewing the strips and then iron, remember to press the seams, no back and forth movement of the iron as this will distort the bias edges. Don't worry, you can do it, just take your time.

Alaskan lady 05-20-2009 07:58 AM

I've made 3 lonestar quilts...... Very quick and easy to go together. Love the colors you are working with.