Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So much for my math ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-much-my-math-t136757.html)

GingerK 07-11-2011 04:23 AM

Get out the graph paper and draw it out as a finished 6" block. Then measure the individual pieces and add your 1/4" seam allowances. Over the years I have found that true quarter inch graph paper is my best friend in the sewing room--well that and my seam ripper!

bearisgray 07-11-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
Get out the graph paper and draw it out as a finished 6" block. Then measure the individual pieces and add your 1/4" seam allowances. Over the years I have found that true quarter inch graph paper is my best friend in the sewing room--well that and my seam ripper!

I LOVE graph paper.

There is something about drawing the lines in oneself that is very enlightening. (Enlightening isn't exactly the word I want, but it's the best one I can come up with at the moment)

Make sure your graph paper is "true" - some of them are off a little bit. Take any ruler and put it on top of the paper in both directions. The paper I'm using now lines up exactly with my ruler in the vertical direction - over an 8 inch width in the horizontal direction, it's accumulated about 1/16 inch variance.

laparshall 07-11-2011 05:34 AM

I agree about the graph paper and the seam ripper.

QuiltE 07-11-2011 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

I LOVE graph paper.

There is something about drawing the lines in oneself that is very enlightening. (Enlightening isn't exactly the word I want, but it's the best one I can come up with at the moment)

Make sure your graph paper is "true" - some of them are off a little bit. Take any ruler and put it on top of the paper in both directions. The paper I'm using now lines up exactly with my ruler in the vertical direction - over an 8 inch width in the horizontal direction, it's accumulated about 1/16 inch variance.

<----- tossing the word empowering for Bear!!

bearisgray 07-11-2011 06:26 AM

empowering is a good word - thank you

enhancing

enabling

envisioning - (I don't think that's a real word, but I like it!)

eastermarie 07-11-2011 07:42 AM

In the 12" sq , you have 12" in the length and 12" in the width. When you divided the 12 by 2 you go 6 , however you only divided one dimension. There are four 6' sq. in a 12" sq. Two across the top half and two across the bottom half.

Holice 07-11-2011 08:01 AM

I don't see any answer to any of the questions or suggestions raised. How can we give an informed answer without the facts.

Greenheron 07-11-2011 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
empowering is a good word - thank you

enhancing

enabling

envisioning - (I don't think that's a real word, but I like it!)

Of course envisioning is a real word. It's what we do when we look at fabric and SEE quilt.

en·vi·sion (n-vzhn)
tr.v. en·vi·sioned, en·vi·sion·ing, en·vi·sions
To picture in the mind; imagine.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
:wink:

PaperPrincess 07-11-2011 11:14 AM

And just to confuse things more, you need to remember to subtract the 1/2" seam allowance first, then divide by 2 then add the 1/2" back on...

gerswin 07-11-2011 11:17 AM

this would have undoubtedly have happened to me :?: