Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So now I am curious. Do you use your walking foot for piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-now-i-am-curious-do-you-use-your-walking-foot-piecing-t160769.html)

Happiness is... 10-16-2011 07:16 AM

I have a Bernina Artista, and use my walking foot ALL the time. Just for kicks, I tried the 1/4" foot. When I started a seam, it was much more difficult to get a clean start, even with a leader. The walking foot is sooo much easier. It just feeds the fabric through so nice and even. No messy edges.

dunster 10-16-2011 07:29 AM

I sometimes use it for piecing. If the pieces to be joined are very long, the walking foot can help keep them even.

dunster 10-16-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Walkingfeet are big, noisy, slow, clunky, and obscure vision a bit, so I use mine for quilting on my vintage machines only. Though on my Bernina 830 it has dual feed built in so I use that while piecing

Not all walking feet have these problems. Perhaps there's a better one available for your machine? The only time mine has been noisy was when I forgot to engage it properly. It is just as fast as any other foot, and although it is bigger than the other feet I don't find that it obscures my vision at all. And it has markings on it that make it just as helpful as the 1/4 inch foot in maintaining seam size.

Candace 10-16-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by dunster

Originally Posted by Candace
Walkingfeet are big, noisy, slow, clunky, and obscure vision a bit, so I use mine for quilting on my vintage machines only. Though on my Bernina 830 it has dual feed built in so I use that while piecing

Not all walking feet have these problems. Perhaps there's a better one available for your machine? The only time mine has been noisy was when I forgot to engage it properly. It is just as fast as any other foot, and although it is bigger than the other feet I don't find that it obscures my vision at all. And it has markings on it that make it just as helpful as the 1/4 inch foot in maintaining seam size.

No, I have several different walking feet on my older machines and have one on my Janome 9000. All are louder than using a nice 1/4" foot. The built in dual feed or IDT is the best though. quiet and nothing to get in your way visually.

Dingle 10-16-2011 07:41 AM

I tried using my WF for piecing and didn't like it. It just seemed like it wanted to eat my fabric. I went back to my 1/4" foot but didn't like that either because I always had problems going over the bulky seams. Then someone on this board (sorry I can't remember who) said she uses her N foot and puts her needle all the way to 7 to get her 1/4" seam. I tried it and love. It goes over the seams really nice. I think it might be because it's a wider foot and stays put better then the 1/4" foot. No weaving. So whoever it was that suggested using the Monograming foot, thank you, thank you, thank you. Made my piecing so much better. :thumbup:

Kitsie 10-16-2011 08:43 AM

I'm lucky to have the built in version (IDT) on my machine and never shut it off! Most helpful for piecing with my "straight stitch" plate - a hole, not a slot - and 1/4" foot.

Annaquilts 10-16-2011 10:29 AM

Hmmm...yes, my walking foot is also big. It doesn't look like the most likely choice for piecing either.

Originally Posted by par4theday
My walking foot is big and bulky, I only use it to bind and do rag quilts. I have sewn binding strips together with walking foot, but prefer the regular 1/4" foot.

Annaquilts 10-16-2011 10:31 AM

Yes, I also use it for multiple layers of fabric or heavy fabric like jean material.

Originally Posted by quilts4charity
NO, I only use my walking foot for binding in quilting, also for regular sewing on velvets and corduroy and such.

fidgety 10-16-2011 12:45 PM

My walking foot stays on my machine at all times. it is bulky but it works and I like it... lol.. Since I don't like to pin much unless it is a bigger piece..

irishrose 10-16-2011 12:46 PM

No, too slow and too noisy.