Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-what-legal-definition-quilt-t198436.html)

reneaunoel 08-26-2012 07:51 PM

I wish I could wrap that poor, sad person in the first quilt I ever heard about. My Grandmother was a young mother with 3 boys, aged 1 to 5. Their new brick house was un-finished, winter was on it's way. She and her mother made a pieced top, out of ALL the worn out denim and cotton duck work pants they could find. The back was an old cotton top-sheet. The "batting" was a full size, ARMY wool blanket. They tied the quilt with what thread and string they had on hand. My father is now 72, and he still has "warm" memories of being pinned under that quilt. Of course, the quilt was made and used in the 1940's!

My vote, QP be danged, any blankie that has multi layers, especially with one layer of love, that's a Quilt!

Bluelady 08-26-2012 09:35 PM

wikipedia says.. A quilt is a type of bed cover, traditionally composed of three layers of fiber: a woven cloth top, a layer of batting or wadding and a woven back, combined using the technique of quilting. A quilt is distinguishable from other types of blankets because it is pieced together with several pieces of cloth. “Quilting” refers to the technique of joining at least two fabric layers by stitches or ties. In most cases, two fabric layers surround a middle layer of batting (cotton, polyester, silk, wool or combinations of fibers) which is a lighter, insulating layer. Batting is often referred to as “wadding” in Britain. Some modern quilts are made with an upper fabric layer, quilted to a layer of microfleece, perhaps without a fabric backing. The most decorative fabric surface is called the “top”, and is the design focus. A single piece of fabric (a “wholecloth quilt”) may be used as the top, or the top may be “pieced” from smaller fabric pieces. Sewing together smaller pieces of fabric into a larger patchwork "block" of fabric creates the basic unit.

Country1 08-26-2012 11:17 PM

Sounds like a quilt to me.

ctipton 08-27-2012 12:38 AM

Somebody had there panties in a knot:D

berrypatch 09-01-2012 06:10 PM

Basically I also believe that a quilt is three layers held together by stitching. Does not even have to be cotton ~ early crazy quilts were made of various fabrics,some quilts used a blanket as a batting, etc

batikmystique 10-29-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by spark (Post 5464865)
you can say just about anything if you start your sentence with"Bless your heart." As in," Bless your heart, it is so kind of you to take such an interest in my work. I'm sure that you really think that you know what you are talking about." That way you are are sort of giving her a back handed insult.

Ha! Your post made me laugh...so funny! Yes, the "bless your heart" is the perfect way to insult someone before they even realize what's happening...and, sometimes they never figure out that they've just been insulted. Even though I feel badly for the OP that she had to endure this pompous ignoramus, this thread has been pure entertainment-so glad I backtracked older posts. This person obvious has no clue and, if the truth were to be known, probably would never
"get it" even if you tried to explain it to them until the cows came home. OP, keep your head held high. What your are making are definitely quilts in my book.

#1piecemaker 10-29-2012 07:06 PM

There is one in every crowd. Don't let it upset you.

#1piecemaker 10-29-2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by reneaunoel (Post 5470598)
I wish I could wrap that poor, sad person in the first quilt I ever heard about. My Grandmother was a young mother with 3 boys, aged 1 to 5. Their new brick house was un-finished, winter was on it's way. She and her mother made a pieced top, out of ALL the worn out denim and cotton duck work pants they could find. The back was an old cotton top-sheet. The "batting" was a full size, ARMY wool blanket. They tied the quilt with what thread and string they had on hand. My father is now 72, and he still has "warm" memories of being pinned under that quilt. Of course, the quilt was made and used in the 1940's!

My vote, QP be danged, any blankie that has multi layers, especially with one layer of love, that's a Quilt!

My sentiments exactly!!