Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-what-legal-definition-quilt-t198436.html)

oldquilter 08-23-2012 07:40 AM

So, what is the "legal" definition of a quilt??

I sell a few baby quilts on yardsellr, have been more successful there than with other online sites. But yesterday I received a comment about one of my small flannel "quilts" as I call them. Pretty nasty, as in "that's not a quilt, it is knotted, and it is flannel, not cotton, so not a quilt." Maybe it should be called a comforter,, but it has a back, a batting and a front, tied together. Help, am I way wrong in thinking one can call it a quilt?? Bewildered.

Scissor Queen 08-23-2012 07:43 AM

Three layers held together by stitching. Flannel is cotton. Ties are single stitches.

They obviously don't know what they're talking about.

feline fanatic 08-23-2012 07:47 AM

Congratulations you just met the quilt police. ignore and go on calling your quilts "quilts" because that is what they are. Just be very thorough in your description so if someone orders they know to expect a tied, flannel quilt. As opposed to the kind the QP was referring to. You will meet all kinds on your quilting journey. There are still some out there that insist a machine quilted quilt is not a "real" quilt.

Dolphyngyrl 08-23-2012 07:49 AM

Sounds like a quilt to me. I agree they don't know what they are talking about. Why can people just keep their piehole shut if they don't have anything nice to say

MattieMae 08-23-2012 08:01 AM

I’ve seen two fleece panels and a towel between, with the fringed cut ends tied together sold as a quilt. Look at what Walmart sells as quilts.

Just be honest in your description so that people don’t think they’re going to get a pieced, cotton, quilted item.

ptquilts 08-23-2012 08:26 AM

oh-oh, the quilt police have your number!! The only proper response is "How kind of you to take an interest" accompanied by an icy stare if the comment is made in person. Not sure how you would do an icy stare over the internet!

oldquilter 08-23-2012 08:47 AM

Ha, great advice everyone. Makes me feel special, the quilt police are after me now:) I do always say if it is hand pieced, machine quilt or hand quilted, or knotted

Teddybear Lady 08-23-2012 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5461802)
Sounds like a quilt to me. I agree they don't know what they are talking about. Why can people just keep their piehole shut if they don't have anything nice to say

That's what I was thinking. This world is full of critics!

Deborahlees 08-23-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5461802)

I second your thought......

crafty pat 08-23-2012 09:03 AM

I and a lot of quilters I know tie quilts. If I get in a hurry or if my back is hurting me I tie the quilts I feel will look good tied. And I call them quilts.