Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Some binding questions -- help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/some-binding-questions-help-please-t230048.html)

gramma nancy 09-12-2013 08:43 AM

Some binding questions -- help please

I just got a quilt back from the LAQ and am getting ready to bind it, but I have questions:

1. Do I cut the binding from the LOF or WOF? The edges are straight, not scalloped, so I am not going to cut on the bias.

2. What width works best for you? For the few quilts I have made in the past I used 2-1/2 inch binding strips (can't remember how I cut them, hence question #1) and it seemed to be OK, but I am not sure it was the best choice.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Prism99 09-12-2013 08:47 AM

I prefer WOF for binding. WOF gives it just a tiny bit of stretch which I like.

The width I cut binding depends a lot on the type of batting used. I like thin battings, so usually 2" works well for me. However, I'm pretty sure that would not work well if I used Warm and Natural batting; for that I would probably go with 2.5" . If you are not sure, and the batting is the same as your last quilt, try going with 2.25" and see how that works for you.

Tartan 09-12-2013 08:49 AM

I cut 2 -1/4 inch WOF strips and join them with 45* for double fold binding. I do 1/4 inch binding and find that measurement gives me slightly wider than 1/4 inch on the back.

Jingle 09-12-2013 08:49 AM

I cut WOF at 2", join strips together on diagonal press seams open, press both sides. Press strip in half, sew cut sides to quilt on front. Using 1/4- 3/8" seam, turn to back and sew to backing, covering the seam. I hope this helps. I only use high loft poly batting.

mckwilter 09-12-2013 08:52 AM

I cut mine from the WOF. I would only cut them LOF if I cut them first and then used the rest to cut the pieces for the blocks. I'm sure I've read pros and cons about both, but can't remember details.

I usually cut my binding strips 3", because I like a wider binding.

QuiltnNan 09-12-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6289258)
I cut 2 -1/4 inch WOF strips and join them with 45* for double fold binding. I do 1/4 inch binding and find that measurement gives me slightly wider than 1/4 inch on the back.

this is just the way i do it as well. i find that the 2.5" strip leaves the binding just a little too 'empty' for my taste. the 2 1/4" is just enough room to sew the second side just covering the 1st side's seam

pinkcastle 09-12-2013 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6289258)

I do this as well unless it is for a quilt that is going to be laundered a lot, then I use continuous bias binding.

DOTTYMO 09-12-2013 09:33 AM

I cut 21/2 inch on the wof . If you use your walking foot and a generous over 1/4 " seam then folding over is full binding.

Some good tutes and utubes on binding .

EasyPeezy 09-12-2013 09:48 AM

I would suggest you make a sample with same fabric and batting as your quilt
then you will know what width is right for you.
Personally, I use mostly W&N batting and I prefer to cut 2 5/8" WOF, and use 3/8"
seam allowance. This gives me the best coverage when I sew to the front then SID.

NJ Quilter 09-12-2013 09:49 AM

I, too, use 2 1/4" WOF for my binding strips. I use W&N batting and a 1/4" seam from the edge of the quilt top. No issues so far!