Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Some binding questions -- help please

Some binding questions -- help please

I just got a quilt back from the LAQ and am getting ready to bind it, but I have questions:

1. Do I cut the binding from the LOF or WOF? The edges are straight, not scalloped, so I am not going to cut on the bias.

2. What width works best for you? For the few quilts I have made in the past I used 2-1/2 inch binding strips (can't remember how I cut them, hence question #1) and it seemed to be OK, but I am not sure it was the best choice.

I would be grateful for any advice.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    I prefer WOF for binding. WOF gives it just a tiny bit of stretch which I like.

The width I cut binding depends a lot on the type of batting used. I like thin battings, so usually 2" works well for me. However, I'm pretty sure that would not work well if I used Warm and Natural batting; for that I would probably go with 2.5" . If you are not sure, and the batting is the same as your last quilt, try going with 2.25" and see how that works for you.

Power Poster
    I cut 2 -1/4 inch WOF strips and join them with 45* for double fold binding. I do 1/4 inch binding and find that measurement gives me slightly wider than 1/4 inch on the back.

I cut WOF at 2", join strips together on diagonal press seams open, press both sides. Press strip in half, sew cut sides to quilt on front. Using 1/4- 3/8" seam, turn to back and sew to backing, covering the seam. I hope this helps. I only use high loft poly batting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I cut mine from the WOF. I would only cut them LOF if I cut them first and then used the rest to cut the pieces for the blocks. I'm sure I've read pros and cons about both, but can't remember details.

I usually cut my binding strips 3", because I like a wider binding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I cut 2 -1/4 inch WOF strips and join them with 45* for double fold binding. I do 1/4 inch binding and find that measurement gives me slightly wider than 1/4 inch on the back.
    this is just the way i do it as well. i find that the 2.5" strip leaves the binding just a little too 'empty' for my taste. the 2 1/4" is just enough room to sew the second side just covering the 1st side's seam
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I do this as well unless it is for a quilt that is going to be laundered a lot, then I use continuous bias binding.

Blog Entries
    I cut 21/2 inch on the wof . If you use your walking foot and a generous over 1/4 " seam then folding over is full binding.

Some good tutes and utubes on binding .
    Finished is better than a UFO

I would suggest you make a sample with same fabric and batting as your quilt
    then you will know what width is right for you.
    Personally, I use mostly W&N batting and I prefer to cut 2 5/8" WOF, and use 3/8"
    seam allowance. This gives me the best coverage when I sew to the front then SID.

I, too, use 2 1/4" WOF for my binding strips. I use W&N batting and a 1/4" seam from the edge of the quilt top. No issues so far!

I generally cut my binding 2.5 and use a 3/8ths seam allowance when I sew it to the quilt. I generally use Hobb's 80/20 batting and it has just a wee bit of loft and fills the binding nicely at that width and seam allowance. For thinner, flatter batting I'll cut the binding 2.25 or even 2 if I want it narrower.

At my guild we had lectures two months in a row and the first teacher said she always cuts her binding 1.75 and the second one said she always cuts hers 3 inches.

Experiment. See what look you like for your project.

I agree with EasyPeezy. Make a small sample first. Keep your samples if you want and label them so you'll know the next time. Though be aware your skills will change over time too.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    this is just the way i do it as well. i find that the 2.5" strip leaves the binding just a little too 'empty' for my taste. the 2 1/4" is just enough room to sew the second side just covering the 1st side's seam
    That is the way I do it too !!! 2.25" is really a good width especially if you are using cotton batting!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I like to cut length of fabric when I have the opportunity, but either works fine for me. I choose to have a 2.75" binding with a generous 3/8" seam allowance.

I use 2 1/5 inch on WOF then do a 45 degree angle for joining strips together and finish my binding with a 45 degree seam.

I also use 2 1/4" for binding
    Sheena

I cut my binding WOF, 2 1/2" wide.

There is no one rule for binding width as it can vary depending on your taste and the batting you used. As for the cutting length or width I have done it both ways and prefer width.

Banned
    I always make continuous bias binding, 2" for cotton, 2.5" for flannel. I use bias binding even on wallhangings.