Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Some suggestions please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/some-suggestions-please-t197361.html)

SouthPStitches 08-12-2012 07:50 AM

For a 13 year old, I'd make one of the "modern quilts". I just finished a fat quarter lap, square within a square that I cut and pieced in just an afternoon and I'm no quilting speed-demon. Being a young lady, I'd keep it kind of trendy. Turquoise with red or very bright pink. I made the aforementioned lap in bright turquoise and bright lime green. Also have seen turquoise paired with a great shade of orange. Not your traditional colors, but younger folks just love them.

Neesie 08-12-2012 08:03 AM

The easiest and fastest quilt pattern, I've come across, is Warm Wishes. It can be tailored to just about any fabric and can use either three or four fabrics. The big plus is that it looks rather impressive, to a non-quilter! :thumbup: Depending upon your fabric, it can look casual or elegant . . . or anywhere, in-between!

Turquoise is also very pretty, with rich blues and greens.

burchquilts 08-12-2012 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by crashnquilt (Post 5434617)
The Jelly Roll 1600 would be fast and easy. You can have it done in one afternoon. I'm sure you could find jelly rolls with turq's and greens and blues.

I have one of these at the LA right now. I made it from the Rivera 2 (sp?) line from Connecting Threads. Here's the pallette... see if it works for you for this project...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]355104[/ATTACH]

burchquilts 08-12-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by DACO48 (Post 5434600)
Tuning Twenty would be quick and easy, I just cut one for my daughter, using a variety of star designs. A variety of turq and black/white would be pretty I think.

I think those colors would be awesome, also (for a teen)! I second the Turning 20 & might also suggest Yellow Brick Road (I can do a lap-szied one in a day). Both are quick & good-looking to boot!

Hylarie 08-12-2012 02:33 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm off to go look them up and do some research!

aborning 08-12-2012 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5435305)
​Woody, I love that first link you posted of the New Wave quilt! What a super modern, chic quilt for a young chick!

I agree. Perfect pattern for a teenager.

barri1 08-12-2012 02:41 PM

A string quilt would be nice, and easy, and pretty fool proof. You can make it with different shades of turquiose. black, and white. it could be a weekend project.

aborning 08-12-2012 02:41 PM

I just LA'd a turquoise and black and white quilt for a customer that my teenage daughter loved. I have done a black (with just a little bit of white print on it, and a black (with quite a bit of white print on it), and a red print --and I did the Disappearing 9 patch in the 3 colorway. I really like this quilt and it seems everyone else does, too. I am actually going to make that same quilt with turquoise (instead of the red) for one of my neices for her graduation. The turquoise and black look awesome together. Just an idea.

tyoung 08-12-2012 05:24 PM

My vote is the Turning Twenty too! I cut the fabrics for one in an hour. They go together very quicly and showcase the fabric nicely.

marymm 08-12-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5434622)
Check out Lucky Stars by Atkinson Designs. Very easy but looks more complicated. Hardly any seams to match. I've done several in all different color schemes and they all came out great.

This is a great suggestion. I did one in this pattern in turquoise and brown and I love it. I set blocks on point, just because, but it certainly wasn't necessary. By the way, I agree the Turning 20 can be beautiful. I made son one in a wide variety of batiks, including, turquoise, aquas, blues and purples and it was hard to let it leave hom.