Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Someone Help~~~PLEASE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/someone-help%7E%7E%7Eplease-t74540.html)

dreamer2009 11-05-2010 07:02 PM

I have a 1930's red and white basket quilt that has an INK STAIN
on it.
HOW DO I REMOVE IT WITHOUT RUINING THE QUILT ???

D*E*S*P*E*R*A*T*E

littlehud 11-05-2010 07:05 PM

The only way I know to remove ink is hairspray and scrubbing but that may be to harsh to do to this quilt.

nursie76 11-05-2010 07:06 PM

You would have to test on an inconspicuous area of the red fabric, but I have always used alcohol. You saturate a paper towel with the alcohol and then put more layers underneath and just blot, blot, blot until most of the ink is gone and then wash. You have to move the paper towels frequently as they absorb the ink.

Some folks have good luck with hair spray, just make sure it is the kind with alcohol in it as that is the key ingredient. I just skip that and got straight to the alcohol.

bluteddi 11-05-2010 07:06 PM

hmmm for most clothing I have used hair spray. Not sure about a vintage quilt.... Many experts here will have much better advice...

dreamer2009 11-05-2010 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
You would have to test on an inconspicuous area of the red fabric, but I have always used alcohol. You saturate a paper towel with the alcohol and then put more layers underneath and just blot, blot, blot until most of the ink is gone and then wash. You have to move the paper towels frequently as they absorb the ink.

Some folks have good luck with hair spray, just make sure it is the kind with alcohol in it as that is the key ingredient. I just skip that and got straight to the alcohol.

alcohol...as in booze ??

justwannaquilt 11-05-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009

alcohol...as in booze ??

No as in rubbing!

I have even gotten Sharpie marker out of a micro suede couch using rubbing alcohol and a paper towel.

dreamer2009 11-05-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt

Originally Posted by dreamer2009

alcohol...as in booze ??

No as in rubbing!

Thanks...don't want a drunk quilt...lol

justwannaquilt 11-05-2010 07:14 PM

good luck, just blot don't scrub.

Rebecca VLQ 11-05-2010 07:16 PM

Yeah...the reason why hairspray used to work was because of the alcohol. I saw a clip on it where they say the ingredients have changed even in aqua net so that one doesn't work anymore.

So, rubbing alcohol and blot, blot, blot!

quilting cat 11-05-2010 07:26 PM

I agree on the alcohol -- have had good luck with hand sanitizer, which is mostly ethyl alcohol. If all else fails, add an applique to cover the stain.