Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Someone PLEASE help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/someone-please-help-t214755.html)

ankegram 02-24-2013 12:51 PM

Someone PLEASE help!

OMG! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! I just finished a queen size, hand quilted wedding quilt for my son and his bride. It took me over 6 months! It really turned out beautiful, BUT, I can not get the blue chalk lines out. I always wash my quilts before giving them away, and the quilting lines have always washed right out. Not this time! I used a "Blue washout Pencil." I have it in the washer right now for the second time. This time I used detergent and Oxyclean. Any suggestions? I'm really worried! :shock: Thanks for any help you can give me.

dunster 02-24-2013 12:59 PM

Oh dear, so sorry. I hope I am wrong - but I read somewhere recently that the blue washout pencils are meant to be washed with water only. Using a detergent is a no-no. I'll try to remember where I read that...

Tartan 02-24-2013 01:52 PM

Make up a little sample sandwich and wash it just like the big one and then try different things to remove the blue. We understand your panic because most of us have had a marking disaster. I have used your brand of pen so I don't know the best solution, sorry.

lynnie 02-24-2013 01:59 PM

Try non bleach stain remover goodluck

feline fanatic 02-24-2013 02:00 PM

I had this happen with the blue chalko liner and a water soluble graphite pencil. However, it wasn't that the blue and graphite didn't wash out of my quilt but the blue chalk and graphite had embedded in the quilting thread. The blue was hand quilted the graphite machine quilted. I never did get the blue all the way but gifted the quilt anyway. The graphite I washed several times. First plain water then detergent and oxyclean. I also let the quilt soak in the washer for a while. Finally I went at it with a soft bristle toothbrush. I don't think I got it all the way out but it faded to the point it was not noticible except by me. The blue one I gave it to my mom so I don't know if it eventually washed out. I don't think it did. The thread is much more "pourous" for lack of a better term, then fabric. I think the powder just clings to all the microscopic fibers sticking out all over on the thread and because it is sunk down in the fabric, water and detergents just can't get to it.

Prism99 02-24-2013 02:10 PM

Is there a brand name associated with your pencil? You say chalk, so I'm not sure exactly what pencil you used.

I know that blue markings from the blue washout *pen* can be removed with vinegar, but these are not related to chalk.

PaperPrincess 02-24-2013 02:46 PM

whatever you do, don't put it in the dryer. The heat tends to set stains.

Dragonomine 02-24-2013 03:00 PM

Oh no! I hope you can get it out!

Prism99 02-24-2013 03:03 PM

I like the idea of making a test quilt sandwich, marking it, washing it the way you washed the quilt, then trying various things to get the marks out. (The test quilt needs to have the same fabrics as the real quilt.)

Here is a link to one thing I had never heard of that gets good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Shout-Wipes-12...dp/B000FE0PC4/

koko 02-24-2013 03:44 PM

If you still have the packaging or name of the manufacturer I would look them up on the internet and contact them via e-mail to see what they suggest for removing the marker. I'm sure they have received messages from others with the same situation and probably have the best solution. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by ankegram (Post 5885214)
OMG! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! I just finished a queen size, hand quilted wedding quilt for my son and his bride. It took me over 6 months! It really turned out beautiful, BUT, I can not get the blue chalk lines out. I always wash my quilts before giving them away, and the quilting lines have always washed right out. Not this time! I used a "Blue washout Pencil." I have it in the washer right now for the second time. This time I used detergent and Oxyclean. Any suggestions? I'm really worried! :shock: Thanks for any help you can give me.