Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Someone PLEASE help!

Someone PLEASE help!

OMG! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! I just finished a queen size, hand quilted wedding quilt for my son and his bride. It took me over 6 months! It really turned out beautiful, BUT, I can not get the blue chalk lines out. I always wash my quilts before giving them away, and the quilting lines have always washed right out. Not this time! I used a "Blue washout Pencil." I have it in the washer right now for the second time. This time I used detergent and Oxyclean. Any suggestions? I'm really worried! Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-24-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: remove PII

Oh dear, so sorry. I hope I am wrong - but I read somewhere recently that the blue washout pencils are meant to be washed with water only. Using a detergent is a no-no. I'll try to remember where I read that...

Power Poster
    Make up a little sample sandwich and wash it just like the big one and then try different things to remove the blue. We understand your panic because most of us have had a marking disaster. I have used your brand of pen so I don't know the best solution, sorry.

Blog Entries
    Try non bleach stain remover goodluck

I had this happen with the blue chalko liner and a water soluble graphite pencil. However, it wasn't that the blue and graphite didn't wash out of my quilt but the blue chalk and graphite had embedded in the quilting thread. The blue was hand quilted the graphite machine quilted. I never did get the blue all the way but gifted the quilt anyway. The graphite I washed several times. First plain water then detergent and oxyclean. I also let the quilt soak in the washer for a while. Finally I went at it with a soft bristle toothbrush. I don't think I got it all the way out but it faded to the point it was not noticible except by me. The blue one I gave it to my mom so I don't know if it eventually washed out. I don't think it did. The thread is much more "pourous" for lack of a better term, then fabric. I think the powder just clings to all the microscopic fibers sticking out all over on the thread and because it is sunk down in the fabric, water and detergents just can't get to it.

Blog Entries
    Is there a brand name associated with your pencil? You say chalk, so I'm not sure exactly what pencil you used.

I know that blue markings from the blue washout *pen* can be removed with vinegar, but these are not related to chalk.

Blog Entries
    whatever you do, don't put it in the dryer. The heat tends to set stains.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Banned
    Oh no! I hope you can get it out!

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of making a test quilt sandwich, marking it, washing it the way you washed the quilt, then trying various things to get the marks out. (The test quilt needs to have the same fabrics as the real quilt.)

Here is a link to one thing I had never heard of that gets good reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/Shout-Wipes-12...dp/B000FE0PC4/

If you still have the packaging or name of the manufacturer I would look them up on the internet and contact them via e-mail to see what they suggest for removing the marker. I'm sure they have received messages from others with the same situation and probably have the best solution. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ankegram View Post
    OMG! I think I'm going to have a heart attack! I just finished a queen size, hand quilted wedding quilt for my son and his bride. It took me over 6 months! It really turned out beautiful, BUT, I can not get the blue chalk lines out. I always wash my quilts before giving them away, and the quilting lines have always washed right out. Not this time! I used a "Blue washout Pencil." I have it in the washer right now for the second time. This time I used detergent and Oxyclean. Any suggestions? I'm really worried! Thanks for any help you can give me.

Blog Entries
    My guess is it's the EZ blue washout pencil:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Washout...dp/B0018N932Y/

Blue and yellow seem to be two colors that quilters run into problems with when it comes to chalk......

I had that happen once, and I sprayed all the lines with Spray n Wash, while it was still wet from the first washing, and the marks came out.

Ok, just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions. The blue chalk marks are from a "Blue Washout Pencil" (that's the actual name). If I remember correctly, I bought it at Walmart. I will never use these chalk pencils again! In the past I have used sidewalk chalk, and I will be going back to it when I start my next quilt. I came up with a concoction that seems to be working. In a spray bottle I mixed about a cup of white vinegar, filled the rest of the bottle with water, and added a good squeeze of Joy dish soap. I sprayed all the blue marks and rubbed it with a bar of Ivory soap. I let it soak in cold water. I am now going to wash in Tide and pray it comes out. This will be the 4th wash and each time it has gotten lighter. Hopefully, this is the final wash ! I will keep you all posted! (PS the marks are on white and light yellow boarders!)

Oh, I sure hope it all comes out!!!!!

I heard Mr. Clean Erasers removes even pencil marks; however, I have never tried it yet.

Blog Entries
    I use a bar of Fels-Naptha. Get it at walmart about $1.00. DAMPEN the corner of the bar and gently go over the marks. It'll come right off. I use this for any stain. Hasn't failed me yet. Hope this works for you
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Blog Entries
    It also happened to me only I used a green chalk. After several washing s it still didn't come out. Luckily they were stars that I had quilted on the borders and throughout the quilt. I decided to go over them with yellow chalk and made it look like I stitched them in yellow. I never use chalk anymore. Good luck!

Well I hope that the markings have come out.
    Amythyst

I try to be careful with those disappearing or washout markers- i used one of them to mark the center of an embroidery project years ago. The marks disappeared, but came back several times. Granted, i may not have removed the marks with plain water, i dont remember, but it is so frustrating when you trust that they will perform as expected and then dont. I hope that this comes to a positve conclusion for you.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry! I cannot even imagine how you must feel! I wish I had words of wisdom regarding the blue pencils but I do not. I pray with all my heart you get them removed. Will you let us know the final outcome.

I know the blue marking pen that disappears with water, if it has been on the fabric a long time or will not wash out use a tablespoon of banking soda to a quart of water and let stand. I do not know if it will work with the marking pencil. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Colored chalk has dye in it for the color. I think each batch of colored chalk gets more or less color then other batch. Different workers, using up the rest of the dye, equipment clean out, who knows.
    Got fabric?

I know what an awful feeling it is to see those lines. Good luck I hope they come out for you.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Upsetting, incredably upsetting. No suggestions, but please let us know how this last mixture works out.

This was my mothers method...must have worked...didn't know they still sell it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noiseynana View Post
    I use a bar of Fels-Naptha. Get it at walmart about $1.00. DAMPEN the corner of the bar and gently go over the marks. It'll come right off. I use this for any stain. Hasn't failed me yet. Hope this works for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast