Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free or a gift card... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/somethin-nothin-your-quilts-free-gift-card-t179281.html)

Catherine Marie 02-13-2012 03:51 PM

Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free or a gift card...

Just an update to my thread asking what any of you did when making a quilt for 'free' or something close to that.
Here's what happened. The mom loved, lovED, LOVED the quilts, reimbursed me for the materials, and gave me a gift card good for a dinner at a restaurant in our area.
Better than nothing, to be sure. But lesson soooo learned from this.

pinkberrykay 02-13-2012 03:54 PM

Enjoy your dinner, and I am glad to hear she reimbursed you for the fabric.

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie (Post 4972596)
Just an update to my thread asking what any of you did when making a quilt for 'free' or something close to that.
Here's what happened. The mom loved, lovED, LOVED the quilts, reimbursed me for the materials, and gave me a gift card good for a dinner at a restaurant in our area.
Better than nothing, to be sure. But lesson soooo learned from this.

momto5 02-13-2012 04:59 PM

You have to be upfront with customers (or friends...) and tell them what you charge to do the quilt they want...that way, no hard feelings and no unexpected "no pays"....particularly if you are in business (or wanting to be); much better if everything is understood (and in writing) on the front end. Sorry you got stung...

dunster 02-13-2012 05:33 PM

I went back and looked at your other thread. Since you didn't ask for any additional payment, and it wasn't clear that you expected any, I think it's nice that you got the gift card plus the materials. In the future... well, hindsight is 20-20. You have to remember that the mom probably doesn't even realize how much time went into making the quilts. At least she wasn't shocked by the cost of materials (or maybe she was, as most non-quilters are, but was nice enough not to show it). So... show us the quilts???

Dolphyngyrl 02-13-2012 07:07 PM

I agree, its always good to be upfront with the costs before the job, most people don't know how much it cost or how much time is involved especially when they can go buy one for 80bucks at walmart.

Tartan 02-13-2012 07:47 PM

Well, I hope it was for a nice restaurant. As you said, lesson learned. Don't feel bad, I've done it too...once!

BSKTLOFR-QUILTER 02-13-2012 08:20 PM

You never know what is around the next corner in life and this contact may lead you into more work sometime in the future. Good luck.

mighty 02-14-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER (Post 4973272)
You never know what is around the next corner in life and this contact may lead you into more work sometime in the future. Good luck.

I so agree!!!!

susie-susie-susie 02-14-2012 09:05 AM

I would at lease ask for the cost of material, but I wouldn't expect a close family member (Mom or Sister or Child) to pay for my labor. It was nice of her to give you the gift card.
Sue

hperttula123 02-14-2012 09:31 AM

That is wonderful!!! :)