Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free or a gift card...

Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free or a gift card...

Just an update to my thread asking what any of you did when making a quilt for 'free' or something close to that.
    Here's what happened. The mom loved, lovED, LOVED the quilts, reimbursed me for the materials, and gave me a gift card good for a dinner at a restaurant in our area.
    Better than nothing, to be sure. But lesson soooo learned from this.
    Those who sleep under a quilt sleep under a blanket of love.

Enjoy your dinner, and I am glad to hear she reimbursed you for the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Marie View Post
    Just an update to my thread asking what any of you did when making a quilt for 'free' or something close to that.
    Here's what happened. The mom loved, lovED, LOVED the quilts, reimbursed me for the materials, and gave me a gift card good for a dinner at a restaurant in our area.

You have to be upfront with customers (or friends...) and tell them what you charge to do the quilt they want...that way, no hard feelings and no unexpected "no pays"....particularly if you are in business (or wanting to be); much better if everything is understood (and in writing) on the front end. Sorry you got stung...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I went back and looked at your other thread. Since you didn't ask for any additional payment, and it wasn't clear that you expected any, I think it's nice that you got the gift card plus the materials. In the future... well, hindsight is 20-20. You have to remember that the mom probably doesn't even realize how much time went into making the quilts. At least she wasn't shocked by the cost of materials (or maybe she was, as most non-quilters are, but was nice enough not to show it). So... show us the quilts???

I agree, its always good to be upfront with the costs before the job, most people don't know how much it cost or how much time is involved especially when they can go buy one for 80bucks at walmart.

Power Poster
    Well, I hope it was for a nice restaurant. As you said, lesson learned. Don't feel bad, I've done it too...once!

You never know what is around the next corner in life and this contact may lead you into more work sometime in the future. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER View Post
    You never know what is around the next corner in life and this contact may lead you into more work sometime in the future. Good luck.
    I so agree!!!!

I would at lease ask for the cost of material, but I wouldn't expect a close family member (Mom or Sister or Child) to pay for my labor. It was nice of her to give you the gift card.
    Sue

That is wonderful!!!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

If your are talking to her in a normal setting be sure & mention that this was "special for her" & that you would probably have to charge someone else about $12.00 dollars an hour. Then tell her how many hours you spent on it.
    If she refers you then they won't expect a "cheap" quilt, & she will feel "special." Then let it go. Like you said "lesson learned!"
    P.S. I'm so sorry that it went this way for you.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I wish I could send pictures of the quilts but try as I might, I couldn't get the lighting right and the results were not too pleasing. I didn't even take any for my own records.
    Yes, it was nice to get even a little something for my efforts but once bitten, twice shy as they say.
    Now I've started a project for a family member and I know it will be enjoyable (and no payment is required), so this one is a win/win situation.

Blog Entries
    So glad to hear you didn't get burned for the materials and got some compensation for time.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I was thinking she will tell everyone about the great job you did and only charges for the materials. This can actually hurt other quilters that will hear but so and so had her quilt made by so and so and it didn't cost that much. Be sure and let her know the actual cost you would have charged for anyone but her. When I do say yes to making a quilt for someone I make it clear that I'll do it for you for this amount but everyone else pays this amount. I don't make quilts for a living and it keeps the request away to make me one too!
    Got fabric?

This is a hard one. The fine line between doing what you love to do, and charging for it always a hard line to cross, especially when they are close family and/or a friend. The best thing to do is to be honest and upfront before starting the project. This will alieviate any hard feelings down the road. Her giving you the cost of materials was very nice. The gift card was an added bonus for a great lesson. Enjoy your dinner and move on to your next project as a much wiser quilter.

Sounds like you made out ok, considering the circumstances. Hopefully the gift card will cover the cost of the dinner.

Blog Entries
    When I make a quilt as a gift, I don't exspect anything in return except that that love the quilt. If they don't like the colors or design, I tell them to give it back and we can go shopping for their colors and pattern. Of corse they I don't let them pay for it as it was a gift from me. I would rather remake them a gift they will use and abuse showing me that they love it. I also do not want anything in return, I have only given out to close friends and family.

I made two quilts for a friend of mine that lost his battle to cancer. The first one, a lot of his friends pitched in to help cover the cost as I printed pictures and quilted them all together. The second one I made for his partner of over 20 years out of his t-shirts. Roger, who received the t-shirt quilt started to cry not believing someone did that for him. The first one went to hs closest friend. Their tears of joy was payment enough along with the hug that I received.

Now, if I were to be paid to make a quilt for someone, and depending on who it is, would determine the amount I would charge to piece it together. I would make them pick a pattern, and then we would hit the fabric stores and I would have the pick the fabric and purchase it, and buy extra for mistakes. Then depending on how they wanted it quilted would be extra. If they wanted it fancy I would have them take it to a professional long arm. And then they would understand when I say I would want X number of dollars, they don't think I fell of my rocker.
    The Quilting Bear

The real problem is people that don't sew or do any kind of craft do not understand
    the Value of the time it takes
    Time is so precious.. there is just never enough of it
    I hope you enjoyed making the quilt

Quote Originally Posted by annies-best View Post
    The real problem is people that don't sew or do any kind of craft do not understand
    the Value of the time it takes
    Time is so precious.. there is just never enough of it
    I hope you enjoyed making the quilt
    Yeah, that was part of the problem. It was a friend of my son, not family and I didn't like the materials they wanted. The 'love' factor was absent and therefore making the quilts was almost a chore. I don't make quilts for people other than family and for my own use (gifts or charitable events) but this was the result of my mouth and brain not working together.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that was part of the problem. It was a friend of my son, not family and I didn't like the materials they wanted. The 'love' factor was absent and therefore making the quilts was almost a chore. I don't make quilts for people other than family and for my own use (gifts or charitable events) but this was the result of my mouth and brain not working together.
    You are just like me most of the time; MBSS, mouth brain sync syndrome.
    The Quilting Bear

At least you got dinner and who knows there might be a friend of a friend of a friend,...........................who wants a quilt and you will know to quote a price up front.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever