Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Somethin' for Nothin' and your Quilts for free... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/somethin-nothin-your-quilts-free-t178375.html)

gypsylady5 02-07-2012 08:31 AM

Absolutely right. Get the agreement up front and make sure they know how much it costs to make a quilt and how much work and time goes into it. If they don't agree to your price, don't let them have the quilts - sell them to someone else who will pay price for them. Also, don't buy a thing without 1/2 down to begin with to cover your expenses. The other 50% should be for your labor and time. Don't sell yourself short. Do your math first and you won't be unhappy next time!

How about some photos of your projects?

Originally Posted by RST (Post 4948977)
I think that people sometimes assume that because you like quilting, and do it as a hobby (presumably) that they need not pay you for your time and skills. They also mostly likely underestimate how much time goes into a quilt. And faced with a $300+ total for two quilts, they are likely to think that is a lot of money for two "blankets", and never once think that really, for skilled custom quilt making, they should be doubling that figure.

So, take it as a lesson learned, and in future, if you want to do a quilt for pay, talk specific numbers from the get-go, and get it all in writing. If you don't mind occasionally doing a favor for appreciative recipients, then so be it -- take pictures of your work so you can enjoy them, and think happy thoughts about two little girls who have nice new quilts. And tell them that this is a one time thing just for them, otherwise all their friends will think they are doing you a favor by giving you that same kind of "business".

RST

RST

crafterrn1 02-07-2012 08:46 AM

I have been there done that! I tell people wanting me to make a quilt for them that they can't afford it! I advise them to buy a quilt from Pennys or Walmart telling them it is poorer quality than mine but much cheaper! I do love to see the faces of the people I tell that they can't afford the quilts. Priceless! That being said I make quilts for my daugther to give even purchasing the fabric. She helps in the color choices and I make it. She would pay if she could. Iknow the recipents love the quilts. Luann

Wanabee Quiltin 02-07-2012 08:46 AM

The very best thing to learn is to say the word "NO". I had to learn it years ago and it was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. I used to be taken advantage of, now that's an old term. I was run ragged because everyone thought that I would do it for free and not mind. Finally I was taught to say NO. Say what you mean but don't say it Mean is something to learn also. I used to bake Wilton cakes for family and friends. Then everyone wanted me to bake and decorate wedding cakes for their family members but for no pay. Excuse me, but that is serious work. I called right back and cancelled two of them, never felt bad about it at all. Same way with quilting, if you want what I have, then you pay for it. Sorry about your situation, but learn to say NO....practice it now... outloud.....

orangeroom 02-07-2012 09:00 AM

Like so many who've already responded, I've been there, done that, a few times. First my mom kept whining 'Gee, I'd love one of those. Why don't you make ME one. I AM your mother, you know.' I informed her that they weren't free or anywhere close to free. Finally I told her, 'You pay for it and I'll make you one.' She did. She kept finding fabric that she liked while we were on a shop hop. When she totaled up all her receipts, she was shocked! She hadn't even bought the batting, backing or paid for it to be quilted! I've not heard another word from her on the subject since, other than she'll be happy with that quilt for life.

Another friend of mine, who didn't quilt, wanted one for herself after seeing my mom's. Told her the same thing. Love her like a sister, so same offer. She was dumbfounded when she had to keep forking over money for fabric, then batting, then the quilting. By the way, neither offered me a cent for my time, nor did I ask.

Same friend wanted me to make one for her daughter, said she'd pay me for my time. I was only going to use material that I had in my stash, she was aware of this. She had me measure out exactly how much material I used and she paid me $10/yard. Exactly what I paid for the material when I bought it. Not a cent more. She supplied the backing. Worked out to be about 3 yards of material. Can't say how many hours. I didn't count.

Same friend wanted a quilt for her son. I told her I'd only make it if she helped. She now knows how to use a rotary cutter, ruler, how to iron, how to square a block, how difficult it can be to arrange blocks in a quilt, and how to use a rental long arm! None of it was a piece of cake for her. She had carpal tunnel issues. She also said her children are set for life. She doesn't want me to make HER do more. She's SO NOT a quilter type person. She took me out to dinner once during the middle of the last quilt. I'm sure she has no intention of thanking me in any other way.

A co-worker approached me the other day. She wanted me to make her daughter a dance recital outfit without a pattern, because she knew I sewed! The short of it was I told her sewing can be enjoyable if we did it together, and if she had a pattern. I told her I'm not a professional seamstress. She decided to ask one of the other women who quilt at work.

Good luck. I'd love to hear from you, by pm, if you do ever get compensated for your time. My guess is that they will assume that $300 will have been padded to include something for your time. Regular people are clueless.

fabrichore 02-07-2012 09:01 AM

I find that I can never get the price I want for my things, labor is definitely not part of my pricing because I would never sell anything, it breaks my heart when people look at my things and say how lovely they are but they can go to walmart and buy it much cheaper, (are you kidding me) but I love to sew so I have learned to price them low and get my name out there.

quiltmau 02-07-2012 10:11 AM

my friend and I would go to LQS and I would buy material and thread for her to make me quilts. No time frame. We would do this every time I visited-twice a year. She soon was inundated with material. She warned me if I bought one more piece she would send it all home with me! I did and she did!! LOL

I now quilt-best thing she could have done for me. And while I really did appreciate the time and creativity she put into the items she made me and cherish each one-I can understand why she told me what she did. I now have enough material to keep me busy for a long time!!

Thanks Janie!!

omaluvs2quilt 02-07-2012 10:30 AM

I usually quilt only for those who are really special to me and whom I know will appreciate it. With that said, only once for payment (learning curve you know)...my daughter's best friend wanted an outer space quilt for her 7 year old son. After seeing the fabric she wanted to use, I was really excited to do it. Her friend could only afford $150 and of course I had way more into it by the time all was said & done, but the excitement from the recipient made it all worthwhile! He was beside himself and couldn't hug me enough. He went straight to his bed and made it up and couldn't say enough times "my name is on it"! No hard feelings here at all, but I do have to say it was the most stressful quilt I have made to date. The whole dynamic changes when you know someone is paying you. I so wanted it to be perfect that I didn't enjoy the process nearly as much as I usually do. From now on I will stick to gifts!

Wintersewer 02-07-2012 10:40 AM

This describes my situation exactly. I have never been asked to make a quilt for anyone, for free or otherwise. I make quilts for all babies in my large family and any friends who have cancer. I'm puzzled as to what kind of people expect things for free...are they as generous with their time and money?? Or are they greedy??? No offense to anyone....this whole situation just puzzles me.....

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 4949017)
This comes up pretty regular on here and honestly it always confuses me. My family and friends all know I sew, quilt, whatever and none of them would ever expect me to provide my skills like this. nor would I expect anything like that from them.

vjjo743 02-07-2012 10:48 AM

It just amazes me how "dumb like a fox" people are, everyone know labor is the most expenisve part of any custom job. Parts and labor, have any of these people heard of that? I just think people want something for nothing. I just can't believe people can really take a handcrafted item and not even offer to do something in return even if they can't afford to pay. It baffles the mind. By the way I did the same thing I made a quilt as a gift, my first one. I embroidered the moneky designs (at least 40 hours of machine embroidery) and sent it to her. Of course she was delighted and asked how much would you charge? I said at least $300. and I could hear her gasp on the phone. Now mind you this lady doesn't think anything of wasting hundreds of dollars at the slot machines or eating every meal out. Since then I feel the same way you'all feel, the quilt has to be for a special person and they need to know the worth of the gift. Isn't there an old saying, Give away your time and people think it is worthless, (something like that). I am now doing quilts etc. for my enjoyment.

Landers 02-07-2012 10:49 AM

I learned my lesson. when a group ask me to make a quilt for a fundraiser, I reply back with: When you buy the fabric, I will choose a pattern to go with it.