Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooo disgusted with myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooo-disgusted-myself-t67445.html)

Bluphrog 09-29-2010 01:02 PM

Make some quilt sandwiches about 12" square. If you want to become better at SID, make some simple rails, 4 patches or 9 patches. Then practice, practice, practice! If you want to become good at free motion, just use solid fabrics. Keep working at it, and you WILL get better.

And if you use the insulbrite batting, you can be making instant potholders.

redvette54 09-29-2010 01:04 PM

Right now I'm quilting a top using FMQ. I read just about everything written about it here, then watched some Utube videos. I practiced and started quilting this top. Trust me it's far from perfect, I'm just doing wavey lines, some of the stitches are too long, so too short, however, I'm really enjoying this and I know I'll get better, the more I do it. I'm going to give the quilt to a friend for her birthday. She won't know it's not perfect, shes not a quilter. Just keep practicing and don't be so hard on yourself.

Qbee 09-29-2010 01:04 PM

Hey....at least you are trying to quilt!! I have one quilt top done (My first) and am working on a 2nd and I have not so much as attempted to quilt them....too scared!! PLEASE don't give up or I'll be that much more horrified to even try!

sahm4605 09-29-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by stitchingmemories
I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:

This is why I use a decorative stitch when I SID well that is all that I have ever done actually. it helps when it goes a little wonky and looks like I meant to do it. little do lookers know the truth. hehe

quiltmaker 09-29-2010 01:10 PM

Just remember that each of our mistakes teach us something new and we then learn how to approach it successfully. Everyone has their frustrating days over many times very simple solutions. Be patient and kind to yourself and step back and then try again. It takes a lot of practice to get things as we want them to be. Don't be hard on yourself and don't give up because YOU can do it and will in time.

purplefiend 09-29-2010 01:13 PM

I like to use a wiggly stitch on my machine for quilting, it looks great too.

e4 09-29-2010 01:14 PM

Why on earth would anyone think SID is easier than other forms of quilting. I find that it actually is much more difficult than trying to do wavy lines, stippling, or other quilting. It is way too hard to move a whole quilt (or a big machine) in straight lines. My DS made a doggie jacket and just shook the whole thing back and forth under the machine until it was all quilted. It looked great after it was all done. Wiggle and dance while you quilt and quit worrying about straight lines!

Stitchnripper 09-29-2010 01:16 PM

Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes after you take a second or third look, you like it better. And, I agree with suggestions to do a wavy or very long narrow zigzag instead of trying to stay in the ditch. Betty Cotton calls it a "wobble stitch".

stitchingmemories 09-29-2010 01:28 PM

Thank you so much everyone! You guys are just what I needed. No more straight stitches for me! Wiggle and dance just may be what I need! :-)

Sharon b - I'm doing a Warm Wishes quilt (actually I have two already pieced and ready to quilt). This one I will try to finish the blocks but the next one I'll try to keep it outside the lines instead. :-)

CoventryUK- More like "one of those weeks"! haha

Redvette54 - I have followed a ton of Youtube video's mostly of Leah Day (she makes it all look so easy). I read on here (QB) where someone suggested using a few papertowels and try FMQ with that and I have tried quite a few of those but still stink at it. Still trying though. (I never could even draw a stick man without making him look sick ).

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement! It means a lot!

MadQuilter 09-29-2010 01:37 PM

I just started a machine quilting series to learn the finer points of FMQ. We are using the Machine Quilting Made Easy book to follow along.

http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti.../dp/1564770745

OMG - what a difference a class makes. Even the tips for basic straight stitching were wow-worthy. Maybe it would help you too. Don't give up. You may just need to practice a different way.