Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sooo disgusted with myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sooo-disgusted-myself-t67445.html)

stitchingmemories 09-29-2010 12:52 PM

I am feeling very inept at quilting. I mean, I can follow a pattern (piecing) but when I get to the quilting part, my work stinks! (And no I won't post a picture, I would die from embarrassment!) I can't even SID without going outside the lines forget trying to stitch a design . I need to change my username, nobody want's those kind of memories! Sorry to rant, just having a bit of a pity party! :oops:

bj 09-29-2010 12:54 PM

Been there, done that. We will commiserate with you all you want. I will say, it really does get better!

Sadiemae 09-29-2010 12:56 PM

It is okay, I have felt this way before. My advice would be to not try to do a SID, but do a wavy line type stitch until you feel more comfortable with SID. There is no reason why a line always has to be straight. Now Chin UP! You are in good company...and Do Not Change your name!

pojo 09-29-2010 12:56 PM

Don't feel bad I can do it all till it comes to quilting it.

I look at all these people's work and it is beautiful mine stinks too.
That's why I just look.

I wouldn't post mine either.

lindyline 09-29-2010 12:56 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all started at the same place. Practice makes most better. Unless it's my free motion, nothing helps there yet. Keep going, and post pics.

sharon b 09-29-2010 12:58 PM

What kind of pattern are you using for the quilt top ? Does it have lines that you can follow with the machine ?

I had one quilt that the person wanted butterflies on , so I found a basic butterfly, photo copied it, pinned to the top and sewed over that :wink:

Practice is what helps the most :lol:

Quiltforme 09-29-2010 12:58 PM

I'll get the ice cream and whipped cream we can all join in with you!! It is so hard being our worst critic. Just don't quit it will get better I still have yet to get out of the SID it scares me and yes I go outside the lines but tell myself I meant to do that!! Some like to do a meander over the ditch and some zig zag. I have taken to viewing a website that does free motion quilting and well I have yet to practice. I am here to support you!!

pocoellie 09-29-2010 12:58 PM

The actual quilting takes lots and lots of practice. Some people seem to have natural capabilities of quilting without working at it. I've been quilting for 8 years and still can't free motion good. Keep at it, don't give up. We've all been there and done that.

Holice 09-29-2010 12:59 PM

I find that when such happens I need to go back and slow down. Perhaps find a better way to bunch the quilt in your lap and under the machine. There is something happening that is not necessarily y our fault but you can probably correct. Look over your process and try to discover what is making the problem and find ways to correct it.

CoventryUK 09-29-2010 12:59 PM

Oh dear!! Perhaps it is just one of those days!!! Get yourself a cuppa and some chocolate and it will be fine!!!!!Well it works for me!!! (Sorry I.m English! A cup of tea here is the answer to everything!!!)