Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sore , tired and achy hands (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sore-tired-achy-hands-t83705.html)

ptquilts 12-18-2010 03:17 PM

I have been hand quilting for 30 years and the hands are OK with the exception of middle finger on left hand [the one that is under the quilt and pushing the needle back up]. it almost feels as if there is a bump on the bone at the knuckle, when I bend it, it hurts. Anyone else run into this?
I live in fear of getting real arthritis in my hands...

morelcabin 12-18-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I have been hand quilting for 30 years and the hands are OK with the exception of middle finger on left hand [the one that is under the quilt and pushing the needle back up]. it almost feels as if there is a bump on the bone at the knuckle, when I bend it, it hurts. Anyone else run into this?
I live in fear of getting real arthritis in my hands...

That is exactly what Watkins medicated ointment is for ...actually Vicks might work the same...just put in on the swollen knuckle with a bandaise and it will go completely away within a couple of days...no kidding. I had a knuckle like that for a year before i tried it and it worked!

wolfkitty 12-18-2010 04:54 PM

I use Biofreeze. Just need a small dab, and it works quite well. Mild odor disappears quickly.

craftyone27 12-18-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I use Biofreeze. Just need a small dab, and it works quite well. Mild odor disappears quickly.

I have heard of this product before, and heard it also works well for neuropathy in the feet. Where do you find this? I have never seen it in the store.

Jill 12-18-2010 05:28 PM

I have arthritis in practically every joint. I will have a should replacement next year due to the pain and also because I can barely use my left arm. I use Watkins or ActiveOn for my hands when I am having pain while sewing. I also take a prescribed medication twice a day.

featherweight 12-18-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27

I have heard of this product before, and heard it also works well for neuropathy in the feet. Where do you find this? I have never seen it in the store.

I have picked it up at the Chiropractors, and have seen it on the internet.

featherweight 12-18-2010 06:12 PM

I have picked it up at the Chiropractors, and have seen it on the internet.

featherweight 12-18-2010 06:15 PM

Sorry, that posted twice. I also wear Handeze gloves and they do wonders. Keeps your body heat in the joints. I have some Unkers ointment I picked up in Ohio and it is good too.

Sweeterthanwine 12-18-2010 07:38 PM

I've seen it in the Wal Mart stores where they have a manicure/pedicure salon. At least here where I live in NV.

Sheila Elaine 12-19-2010 01:04 AM

In Oct 2010, my right hand got so bad that I was almost to tears every morning. If my right hand was over my face as I slept, it got cold & felt like it was on fire. It would wake me up, so I decided, this is time to do it. Ten years ago, I had testing to see if I had carpal tunnel syndrome, and yes more in right than left. I moved & gave up on having surgery until Nov 2010 and exactly a month ago went ahead. I'm so glad I did. Still having a little problems w/cutting with scissors, rotary cutter and working with heavy pans in my kitchen. I am so used to doing everything (I live alone), that it's second nature to grab my Iron skillet, or heavy metal pans. I'm trying to use the Microwave more & use lighter weight pans.

My incision is well healed & I just keep moving my hands every time I think about it, or if I'm sitting. I've done some sewing (my Husq Viking Designer II) does most of the straight sewing, just pulls it through by itself, so not much tugging that way. I've made a few of the pillowcases like Missouri Star Quilt Company has the Tutorial for Christmas. I tore the fabric instead of using scissors or rotary cutter & it works well. I had wanted to get triangles cut before the surgery, but since I didn't I am just sewing straight seams. I can do quilts for next Christmas. I haven't tried hand stitching yet, but I'm sure I could do it for a little while, but not long. Some folks I've heard say they have someone to do dishes & all their housework, but I don't have that luxury all the time.

If you are contemplating carpal tunnel surgery, ask your doctor & nurse lots of questions.