Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spiral FMQ help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spiral-fmq-help-t279011.html)

farmquilter 05-28-2016 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G (Post 7560740)
PS. I think your spirals are great. If that was done on a whole pc. You wouldn't even see the irregularities that are bothering you. As long as I've done ZfMQ, I couldn't come close to what you've done. Be proud.

Sure wish mine would look so good, that is why I do not even attempt them now.
Jan

deedum 05-28-2016 05:00 AM

Your getting there. More practice! More and more. That is what it takes. I can stipple and do spirals and butterflies and loops and hearts these days (not perfectly but close enough). Yet I had to practice each day to just achieve my stippling. Once I mastered that I moved on to another one. It takes some time to get a nice speed and stitch but well worth the effort. I always quilt my own quilts, perfect or not. I enjoy it and people love them. Keep working on it. Oh and a helpful hint, I used felt squares to practice on, then you can change out the color and practice on that same piece again. This to me was so helpfuful.

hairquilt 05-28-2016 05:07 AM

I too think they look great!! Much better than I can do yet! We all tend to be So hard on ourselves! As they say practice for perfection!

kat13 05-28-2016 05:30 AM

I drew or copied a design on tracing paper, then put it on a piece of practice fabric and followed the lines for practice! It helped me get the feel of FMQing and once I could do it smoothly I tried solo or marked design on fabric for even better results!
BTWi think you are doing great

mjhaess 05-28-2016 07:28 AM

Practice and practice some more. My mom always said practice makes perfect....

Friday1961 05-28-2016 09:53 AM

Hey, I think those look great! What's wrong with them? You could sharpen your spiral "point" a bit, if you like, but I think they are fine as they are.

MarleneC 05-28-2016 04:46 PM

I think this looks pretty nice. I need to get back to practicing again. I remember when I was trying to do meandering practice over and over and hubby finally said just do it. I did better than I thought I would.

quilttiger 05-29-2016 02:50 AM

I like your spirals, too! The more you do, you will find yourself wanting to try other designs. Have you checked out tutorials online? How about Craftsy classes in FMQ? There is a nice selection of classes by different teachers. Have fun!

jmoore 05-29-2016 03:27 AM

[QUOTE=Bree123;7561094]
2) Try doing spirals in a line instead of in every which direction. It's easier & will help build consistency as you can compare one to the next.
4) If you hesitate for just a second at the inside tip, you will get a point rather than a curve
5) Just keep practicing. They will get better & better the more you practice!
QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly... I think you're doing better than most on your spiral journey. Keep up the good work.

Ellen 1 05-29-2016 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7560659)
Still having a terrible time with spirals....any other hints or video suggestions?

Here is today's attempt on a sandwich.

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550937[/ATTACH]

Are you using a Longarm or a domestic? Try speeding up a little bit. Circles/spirals are more smooth if you don't go too slow.
Ellen