Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spiral FMQ help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spiral-fmq-help-t279011.html)

Watson 05-27-2016 05:10 AM

Spiral FMQ help

1 Attachment(s)
Still having a terrible time with spirals....any other hints or video suggestions?

Here is today's attempt on a sandwich.

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550937[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 05-27-2016 05:17 AM

When you are FMQ, what are you looking at. Try to look a little ahead of where you actually want to go. I would suggest try following a line and once you get that down, you should see improvement. It took me many years before I felt confident to stitch stippling.

Onebyone 05-27-2016 06:08 AM

When I first started to fmq I thought I had to do feathers, spirals, circles, and stipple. Then I realized it would take me several years of lots of practice for all of them. I don't have the time or passion to devote to many fmq designs. I chose a design that is simple, I know I can do it and it looks great on most all quilt patterns. I save the other designs for the LA's computer. I think your spirals are nice. The stitches are the same size.

Pat G 05-27-2016 06:59 AM

I was so intimidated by FMQ til one day I decided to sacrifice a runner & just go for it. To this day all I can do is meandering. I thought my work was sloppy but people think I'm so clever & talented. So I stopped being so critical of my work. Once a pc. is done even I think I'm pretty clever. LOL.
I just don't feel I have to be so fussy about learning the beautiful work some people do. I just want to enjoy my limits.
Why don't you just play around with meandering & move on to patterns when you feel more adventuresome?

Pat G 05-27-2016 07:02 AM

PS. I think your spirals are great. If that was done on a whole pc. You wouldn't even see the irregularities that are bothering you. As long as I've done ZfMQ, I couldn't come close to what you've done. Be proud.

justflyingin 05-27-2016 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G (Post 7560740)
PS. I think your spirals are great. If that was done on a whole pc. You wouldn't even see the irregularities that are bothering you. As long as I've done ZfMQ, I couldn't come close to what you've done. Be proud.

I was thinking the same thing! (how nice they look and if you did it all over a quilt, it would be "AMAZING!")

bjchad 05-27-2016 07:46 AM

When I am learning a new FMQ pattern I practice it over and over on a small white board until I feel like I know how to move around the space and it becomes almost automatic. Spirals are tough because of the spacing to leave room on the way in to get out again. Paper (white board) practice will help you judge that.

Your spirals aren't bad and with practice will get better. Don't be too hard on yourself. The thread color here makes any irregularity show up a lot. With a thread that is closer to the fabric color these same spirals would make you happier. Just keep with it. And remember this is "hand made" and shouldn't look like a robot did it.

DresiArnaz 05-27-2016 08:13 AM

I think they look fantastic!

lynnie 05-27-2016 08:15 AM

i think they look great. i'm still at loops, can't stipple yet.

PaperPrincess 05-27-2016 08:21 AM

I also think they look pretty good. For consistent spacing I try and use the edge of my foot as a guide, but that is pretty limiting.