Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spoiled by Hancocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spoiled-hancocks-t28685.html)

Darlene 11-15-2009 05:47 AM

I always loved Hancock's also but they left our city years ago. I miss having them as they were down the street from Joann's and I could go both places.

deedum 11-15-2009 06:06 AM

I agree, I most always shop Hancocks first, they are so great with their service which is huge for me! Joann's has a lot but the service is so slow and they get crumpy! Hobbylobby is ok, probably should go their more but don't.

MaryAnna 11-15-2009 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup
Where in North Carolina is Mary Jo's? I may be heading that way on vacation sometime. I'd also like to see if they have an online site.

Mary Jo's is located in Charlotte, NC. Exit 21 off of hwy 85.
Here's the website www.maryjos.com
You won't be dissapointed- it's really something. No it's not fancy, it's a 'warehouse' , but nicely organized. You can get quilt fabric quality fat quarter for...45 cents each - 1.79 each. Yes, that's right! I've bought Moda fabric, current selection, at $5.49 per yard, yes Moda! And that's their 'normal' prices, they do have sales as well- real bargan prices!. I've bought Marcus Brothers Civil War fabric (Rothermel designer) for $3.79 per yard- regular price! You must visit Mary Jo's!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna

MaryAnna 11-15-2009 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup
Where in North Carolina is Mary Jo's? I may be heading that way on vacation sometime. I'd also like to see if they have an online site.

Sorry I made a mistake, it's not in Charlotte, but Gastonia NC, which is right next to Charlotte!
Regards again,
MaryAnna
PS- Check out their website! They've been in existence for 53 years!

mommaB 11-15-2009 06:31 AM

The HobbyLobby here has a very limited fabric section, but I stop once in a while to see what they have..you never know :wink: The local Hancock's was 1 mile away and I loved it there, not huge, but lots of cotton and fleece. Sadly they closed when the new super sized Joann's opened. The nearest one is now in Dayton, 1 1/2 hours away :cry: :cry: My neice was in school there for a while and it was a great excuse for a roadtrip!! I have several LQS nearby, but I have to be a little cost smart!! Projects, usually gifts, I know will be taken care of I don't mind spending at LQS. I find you have to really watch the quality of the fabric at Joann's, some of it is really junk and the cutting line is always long, and their staff not very knowledgable. I find it hard to get straight cuts

You are LUCKY to have any size hancock's nearby. Don't burn up all the plastic in one trip :D :D

Rose Marie 11-15-2009 06:38 AM

All the Hancocks in the Phoenix area went out of business. Now Joanns has no competition and their prices went way up.
Only one Hobby Lobby and it is miles from me and the fabric dept. is small.
Walmart still has fabric.
Lots of local shops but too expensive so I shop online most of the time.

sewjoyce 11-15-2009 06:45 AM

My Hancocks closed a couple of years ago -- they were 100% better than the JoAnns...........................

Lostn51 11-15-2009 07:41 AM

The Hancocks that I loved burned down and I along with a lot of others have to go to their other store out by the big mall. It is a more of a corporate store and their selection is huge but there is no organization at all.

The manager is a real butt head and not many customers like him and have had problems with him and his attitude. He made the mistake of getting smart with me and I told him in so many words that if he didnt settle down I was going to use him for a mop and clean the store with him. After that he is like my best friend and goes out of the way to make sure I have what I need. :mrgreen:

Billy

sewjoyce 11-15-2009 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The Hancocks that I loved burned down and I along with a lot of others have to go to their other store out by the big mall. It is a more of a corporate store and their selection is huge but there is no organization at all.

The manager is a real butt head and not many customers like him and have had problems with him and his attitude. He made the mistake of getting smart with me and I told him in so many words that if he didnt settle down I was going to use him for a mop and clean the store with him. After that he is like my best friend and goes out of the way to make sure I have what I need. :mrgreen:

Billy

Wish I could have been there for that!! :D

Lostn51 11-15-2009 08:05 AM

My 18yo Daughter and her two friends thought it was real funny! :lol:

Billy